When Will The eMac Go G5 ?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by PLan, Jul 18, 2004.

1. PLan macrumors newbie

Jul 1, 2004
    I`m looking at buying an eMac and am wondering whether I should hold off until next year. I`ve heard that Tiger, specifically "Core Image", doesn`t work properly on the relatively old graphics hardware of the eMac so I`m guessing there is going to be a major motherboard revision before Tiger becomes the standard - I`m also hoping this revision will include a low-end G5.Being completely new to Apple I`m really taking a shot in the dark so what do other members think ? :confused:

P.S. Is anybody actually running Tiger on an eMac and do they have any opinions on it ? :eek:
  2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    This is one of the best questions I've heard in a while. :D

As for answer? Probably going to be quite a while - since the eMac is the low end, you'd probably have to see the G5 in an PowerMac, iMac and iBook first.

Tiger will benefit from video better video cards as well, so Apple can upgrade those and keep the G4 in the eMac for a while.

3. intrepkid21 macrumors regular

Apr 6, 2004
    Long Island, New York
    Yes, they will just update the video board to work with CoreVideo and the like
  4. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

Apr 21, 2004
    Can you say Chi-City??
    How dated will the current consumer lines (iBook in particular) feel when running Tiger? For normal usage (web browsing, email, word processing) how will CoreVideo come into play?
  5. quagmire macrumors 603

Apr 19, 2004
    I say sometime in late 2006. The imac will no doubt be this fall. Powerbook in the first half of 2005. The ibook in late 2005 early 2006. The ipod and mini(joking) mid 2006. The emac late 2006.
  6. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
  7. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    This ain't Windows. A new OS actually makes old Macs run better. Most likely your G3 iBook--even G4 iBook--will be more responsive under Tiger.