When will the horror stop?

Discussion in 'Games' started by sikkinixx, Oct 6, 2006.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I am fed up with horror themed video games. God forbid a studio go "hmm maybe we can make an action/FPS/3rdPS game that DOESN'T involve horror survival!" or "hey.. do we REALLY need aliens/zombies this time?"

Look at the big action games coming out,

RFoM = Horror/Aliens,
    GoW=Horror/Aliens,
    Bioshock=Horror/some zombies no doubt
    Halo 3= Aliens
    HL2 = Aliens
    Alan Wake =Horror and probably f***ing some sort of undead
    Lost Planet = Aliens

ARGH! I am tired of aliens and spooky music and *insert sharp note on a piano* omg a dead body with a zombie eating its brain! It's so overdone. Why can't I blow away a human super solider or something? Or kill endless henchmen like in Max Payne 2 (best.action.game.ever) The horror thing was cute back with Resident Evil 1/2 and Clock Tower and even Silent Hill. But some genius decided that action=Horror tied in.

*phew* Ok I feel better now, all the horror/zombie/alien lovers can flame me to ashes now.

2. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

I've noticed the trendd too. Especially with next-gen.
    Weird huh?

3. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

well cuz ya know, 'old' gen graphics weren't good enough to show off the coool alien character models (that all look alike) and everyone knows you need 7.1 to get spooky music at its prime

4. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

There are plenty of FPS games upcoming (and already out) that aren't horror/alien themed. Frontlines: Fuel of War, Rainbow Six Vegas, Battlefield 2142, Battlefield: Bad Company, Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway, Call of Duty 3, Fall of Liberty, Army of Two, Dog Tag… you get the picture.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

And yet none of them are worth buying.

6. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

and most are WWII games of which there are already dozens of, how many times can developers make WWII games?

7. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

It's a genre now, there will be World War II games for the rest of time, I'm sure.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Don't remind me.

BF 1942 and it's over. Please stop making them. Though Company of Heroes is a nice direction. I can't wait for mods...

9. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I remember when stealth used to be the big thing, just after Splinter Cell was released. Every damn game had a friggin' stealth level!

10. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

you know this means?

Stealth-Espionage-Alien-Horror-Action! the ultimate genre (in 1941 with Nazis)

11. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I would say only the levels involving the Flood count as horror in Halo. The Covenant species are more of a sci-fi style enemy, rather than horror (or sci-fi horror).

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

personally i'm only waiting for the first "space marines vs. nazis" game :rolleyes:

let's face it: at the moment shooters are reduced to
    WW2
    space marines vs. aliens/mutants
    horror-shooter involving aliens,mutants,zombies
    special forces vs. terrorists

that's part of the reason i nearly stopped playing shooters... heck at last year's game convention i was happy playing a game where i for once was killing vampires (even though the rest of the game was crap)

anybody seen the the latest Turok trailer ? remember when you were an indian dinosaur hunter in that ? now you are a generic space marine there too and you are mostly fighting other guys who look like generic space marines instead of dinosaurs

13. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I'm sorry, but I don't mind the genre. May have something to do with the fact I haven't played any of them. But I would definitely like to.

Personally I would like Legends of Dune to be made into a massive game like Oblivion. It would be absolutely awesome if you could play as Ginaz mercenary, starship captain, cymek, robot, etc. etc.

They should also make a movie of Legends of Dune. At the same time, so the result is both an excellent game that can be played on and on for weeks, and an excellent movie.

Am a massive fan of Legends of Dune. Humans versus Cyborgs versus Robots. What could be more entertaining?

How cool would it be to have a game where if you can't follow orders, you get demoted, and get boring missions, or if you fail a flying exam, you get thrown in with ground troop cannon fodder? Make the difficulty level adjust to how well you play the game. That would be awesome.

14. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Fed up with horror and aliens in videogames? Get over it. The industry is run by accountants and marketeers, whose job is to sell games to pre-pubescent males. That's why games are full of tits & arse, zombies, fast cars and guns. It's not a new trend, it's just that the publishers are only interested in 'safe investments' and bullet points on the back of the games box.

15. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Isn't that coming out alread? Resistance: Fall of Man (PS3)?

Personally I thought Call of Duty was the best WW2 game released, so I'm glad that gem came out even if it took the hundreds of other generic WW2 shooters being released as well.

I'm also a fan of Sci-Fi, so I like the "futuristic shooters" you mention (at least some of them I am anticipating).

So what kind of FPS do you want then? I'm sure it's been made, and made plenty of times... share a solution to the problem, don't just complain! heheh

16. Cloudgazer macrumors 6502

Cloudgazer

I agree with the original poster.

There is no reason not to make unique FPS games.
    Max Payne 2 was the last original FPS.
    Great action, incredible style, good story.

I'm surprised it never made it to Mac.
    Actually... wait a sec... I'm not surprised.

There are so many games that should have been ported, and have never seen the light of day.

17. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Metal Gear was the best, and truly stealth game of all time. I can't stand splinter cell. The controls are awful.

There are good games in every genre, unfortunately there's a lot of horrible games in every genre too. I'm waiting for the next release of Twisted Metal...

18. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Dude don't knock the horror games..finally some of us are getting some good games besides all the crappy FPS and RPG plus the MMO..something.

3rd person horror games are the best...I'm not a fan of FPS horror.

Bless

19. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Hehe, I find it the other way round :D (it's almost as though we're destined to fight :p)

20. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

There is a simple solution to all of this - don't play

21. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Well... what else can you make an FPS about? I mean, sure there is war themed games like Battlefield and CoD, etc, but those are hell annoying too, the best FPS have dealt with horror and the "supernatural", F.E.A.R., Half Life 2, Doom 3, Far Cry, Quake, Unreal Tournament, etc and thats just some recent FPS.

I don't understand why it annoys you, FPS are just friendly to those kind of things, just like RPGs are friendly to fantasy themes, its not a recent trend, FPS have been about horror and aliens and stuff like that ever since the first FPS came out and guess what... the best FPS of all time have been horror/alien/monster themed so maybe you just don't like FPS and like I said its not a recent trend... this has been going on since the creation of FPS.

Why not complain about all RPGs being fantasy themed next?

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That doesn't make that much sense, unless you are an accountant or marketeer. He's talking from his own view and opinions not the corp. side of things.

I fully agree with you Sikkinixx. This is part of the reason I'm feeling less and less impressed with next gen gaming, it's last gen with more polygons, and the genre's that are recycled. I'd love for some originality in this area, seems to be only Puzzlers and little games that get originality these days.

That said I do love HL2, THAT said it's the only game in its genre I play.

23. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

In your opinion, perhaps. There's probably two or three on that list I'd buy. The rest? Either can't run 'em or haven't looked at them.

Funnily enough, I agree with greatdevourer. I tried MGS and hated the control scheme, while I loved Splinter Cell's.

24. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

I'm not either: it uses Havok.

--Eric

25. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Wait a second... isnt Max Payne 2 a THIRD person shooter?

That just made this topic extremely stupid.