When will the iBook 12" be availble with a Superdrive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by KevRC4130, Jul 2, 2004.

1. KevRC4130 macrumors 6502

Does anybody have any idea when the Superdrive will be available on the 12" iBook? The Superdrive is the only reason why I would need a Powerbook over an iBook, and if i could get around spending the extra $500 on a Powerbook, that would be great. Do you guys think the Superdrive will be on a 12" by the end of the summer? Maybe even sooner? Or not a chance?

Thanks!

2. kidA macrumors regular

i would say not for quite awhile for several reasons:

it would put it too much on equal with the 12" PB and is, probably in apple's mind, the kind of high end feature that you should spend for the powerbook.

the 12" ibook is the lowend machine and apple's all about product differentiation.

they've got more pressing r&d needs for their dollars; getting a g5 in the PB, getting the new iMac out.

i also wouldn't be surprised if the ibook sees maybe one or two more speedbump at the g4 but sees some sort of cosmetic overhaul within the next few revisions—it's looked the same for over three years. maybe then there will be a superdrive 12" option.

3. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

Agreed.

I disagree there-- it wouldn't take any R&D at all-- the 12" powerbook came from the ibook, not the other way around-- it would be easy for Apple to pop in a Superdrive-- but they won't, for the reasons you stated.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

a superdrive BTO for the 12" iBook would only make a $300 difference between the powerbook and iBook because the superdrive is 200. Plus if you are going to get an airport card there is almost another hundred and a bluetooth module is 50 if you wanted that.....so a loaded iBook is about the same as a powerbook without the superdrive...thats why they will not but the superdrive in the 12" iBook, sales of the powerbook would be killed then. This way a loaded iBook is still different than the powerbooks and it is a good difference in my mind to keep

but to answer your question, the 12" iBooks probably wont see a superdrive until the powerbooks have G5s

5. OziMac macrumors 6502

As the others have said, the answer to your specific question is: not soon.

However, if you don't mind voiding your warranty and are as handy as you were with the hard drive (see the other thread where you asked about the hard drive on the iBook), you can buy a superdrive and put it into the iBook yourself (probably a bit expensive still at this stage though, and the usual disclaimers apply).

http://www.macbidouille.com/article.php?id=150
    http://www.macbidouille.com/article.php?id=151
    http://www.mcetech.com/sdibook.html
    (again, translate from French to Englush using Babelfish)

But to be honest - if you want a superdrive, just get the 12" Powerbook. It's a better value proposition with the superdrive and has increased performance that you will benefit from when burning DVDs. Or get an external burner if all you need is the functionality at home, and not necessarily everywhere on the road.

6. Macciee macrumors newbie

Ibook plus external DVD burner is key

I have solved the exact same situation with a 8* external(small) usb2 drive.
    Works perfect with imovie and toast titanium and apples own burn app.
    in reality a internal burner are overexpensive and you dont need it in an airplane.
    but normally a nice portable ubs2 or firewire will do just fine and use the bucks saved for a nice new ipod instead!

7. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

As others have said I don't think there will be a 12" iBook superdrive until we see a G5 12" powerbook, or some other development to distinguish the lines.
    However it is possible to get one added if you really want it. I would be tempted to go for the PB however, it just feels a much nicer package than the iBook (having had both) however I do prefer the white of the iBook.