When will the iBook get this (12.1)Widescreen.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by MacAficionado, Aug 14, 2004.

1. MacAficionado macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

I saw this in a catalog that got to my house recently, and proceeded to fantasize about the iBook getting this screen.

What is the likelihood of this screen making it to the Mac. Would it make them too expensive?

By the way, this is a Dell Inspiron 700m.

2. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

the 12" inch loses its cuteness/charm as soon as it goes widescreen like it's cold, hard bigger brothers. well, maybe not cold but you know what i mean.

3. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

oops u said ibook didnt u...well never mind. i hope the ibook gets that to differentiate from the pb.

4. wide macrumors 6502a

It wouldn't make sense to make the 12.1 inch iBook widescreen and leave the PowerBook 12.1 inch as-is. You would be paying more money for regular 12.1 inch screen on a PowerBook and less money for a WIDESCREEN 12.1 inch display on the iBook. I imagine most people would just go for the widescreen in that decision.

I think the PowerBook 12.1 inch with a widescreen would look incredible. Not too thrilled about the iBook though. I think it would look a little disproportioned.

5. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

I know I love the widescreen on the 15 and 17 inch powerbook, so a 12 inch widescreen sounds nice too. Although, I'd like to see a 12 inch widescreen in person before I make my final judgement.

6. MacAficionado thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm sure if they do it, it would be to both the Ibook and Powerbook, or just the PB. I do not understand why it would look good on the PB and not on the iBook though.

I think it would make the iBook even more desirable than it is now. If it stays at the current price. And from the Dell specs it says it has a resolution of 1280x900 or something like that, so it should be a nice little screen.

7. benbondu macrumors regular

small wide-screen should be an oxymoron

I think it's a little counter-intuitive for an ultra compact notebook to sport a wide-screen. You maximize screen space and volume by making the screen as square as possible. This is probably partly why the dell is 1.5" thick and the iBook is more like 1.2" (it's easier to make a square box thin than a long box). The current design makes it just wide enough to support a keyboard (look at all that wasted space around the keyboard of the dell) and the dimensions in the other direction work out so that it's about the size of a sheet of paper.

The dimensions couldn't be any more perfect for carrying around if you ask me. If apple is going to mess with the screen they should increase the resolution to 1280x960 and give the wide-screen fanatics an option to turn off the top 80 and bottom 80 pixels.

8. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

The iBook wont get widescreen...

it will be the PB but not 12" ... the G5 line will be 13" 15" 17" :)