When will the new powerbooks actually be available in stores?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by adriaan, Sep 13, 2005.

  1. adriaan macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2005
    Location:
    Belgium
    #1
    I'm a PhD student and I have my heart set on buying a 12" powerbook to take with me to conferences, for taking notes during meetings etc. (Don't have a laptop yet.)
    Of course I'll wait for next week's Paris Expo, assuming that they will announce a new revision of powerbooks (there have been other threads about whether this will actually happen or not, but let's just assume they will, for now :)).

    Now, my questions are:
    - when do you think that these new powerbooks will actually be *available* in Apple stores?
    - more specifically, I'll be in San Diego for a conference starting Oct 13th and I'm considering buying one in that Apple store in Fashion Valley. Could I (should I?) pre-order one on-line in order to be sure to have a laptop by the time the conference starts?
    - my other option would be to buy one in Belgium (where I live), but the same questions about availability arise.
    - oh and one more thing: if I buy my powerbook in the States, will the standard warranty be valid in Belgium? Is AppleCare really worth it?

    thanks for sharing your thoughts&experiences!
     
  2. lopresmb macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2005
    #2
    it depends on what they realease -- all new machine (I feel like this may be unlikely) it'll be a while

    --slight bump, may be avaiable that day.

    --and no, there is no such thing as preordering an unreleased machine (htough you may be able to get an old one and trade it it for a new one when they come out)
     
  3. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

    i4k20c

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2005
    #3
    --Well i'll try an asnwer ure questions.. when the ibook was updated, it was out the next day, but there was no expo for it. I'm pretty sure its safe to say with a minor update the powerbook would be available on the 25th imo once the expo is all said and done...

    --I think applecare is worth it but you have a year to buy it.. so imo y not just wait near the end? lets say for some reason u wanan sell it, no way ure gonna make the 200 or w.e. much the app cost! Lets say if it breaks within the year (like u drop it god for bid..) ure out 200 or w.e. it costs.. so jus wait imo!

    Rest of ure questions, not so sure abbout..sorry, hope i was some help.. :eek:
     
  4. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

    macOSX-tastic

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2005
    Location:
    At the Airport. UK
    #4
    if a new product is hugely popular (eg. like the ipod shuffle was) then there may be backlogs of internet orders for weeks. this, coupled with low stock at apple stores which will ware down once the majority of people who want one have got one. it is wise to wait a little after a product release to decide on your purchase, for example you can come onto macrumors and check out buyer's opinions of the product in question, to see whether they are good or bad. obviously some of these may be bias and you will want to draw your own conclusions, but many here have helpful advice, advice which i sometimes count on!!!if you go and blindly buy a brand spanking new product without thinking, just to beat the queues, then there is no time to stop and consider the implications. hold back, relax and dont buy ASAP (unless you need it:D) as the product will always be there to buy. (unless there are mass product recalls, in which case i wouldnt worry to much about buying it then:D)

    tastic
     
  5. djkny macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2003
    #5
    I'm taking the pessimistic approach -- there will be no powerbook updates this year. Go ahead and buy. (remember what people were saying about WWDC? No PB's showed up on the radar).
     
  6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

    Abstract

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2002
    Location:
    Location Location Location
    #6
    If there's a new PB, it won't be announced in Paris. It'll either come out a few days before the expo, or a few days after the expo. An update to the PB line is a non-event as far as most people are concerned.

    I say buy whatever 12" PB is out when you're in San Diego.

    And if you buy your PB in the US, don't expect a European keyboard. However, your warranty will work worldwide. Once you get your PB, you'll have to register the serial number to your home anyway, and they don't care whether the PB was bought in the US or Belgium. However, beware of customs. You won't be able to bring your PB home with you without paying a large fee/tax if you bring your box.
     
  7. SteveMcQ macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2005
    #7
    Just taking a stab along with everyone else, but I'd venture to guess that the earliest a possible updated PB will be available for retail is September 25th. That's the day the Student Union deal ends.
     
  8. gregorydanger macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2004
    Location:
    Michigan
  9. Euan macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2005
    Location:
    UK
    #9
    As others say, it will depend largely on what, if any, updates are made to the PBs. If they are smallish (which I think is more likely) then they could be that day, if they are more major, while it could be the same day, demand will be greater.
     

Share This Page