When will the next Microsoft Office For Mac be released?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yudilks, Jan 31, 2006.

1. yudilks macrumors regular

I'm planning to buy Mac Book pro, but I'm using microsoft office extensively.. So I guess I would have to wait till it is relasead... Anyone have an information about that...

2. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

No one knows. All that is known is that Microsoft is currently working on it, and that it will be universal for both Intel and PowerPC. If you need Office now, get Office 2004. It runs fine in Rosetta. I personally don't expect to see Office 12 for Mac until 2007.

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

It's not going to be until AFTER the next version of Office for Windows, "Office 12", is released... and that's scheduled for later this year, when Windows Vista is released.

So realistically you're looking at 2007 at the EARLIEST for the next version of Office for the Mac. But I believe that Microsoft is working on Universal Binaries for Office 2004, and they should be out before too long... and you can still run Office 2004 on an Intel-based Mac using Rosetta emulation.

4. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

A bit of topic, but will the be an update that can be downloaded. Or will they offer a DVD replacement? Or none :confused:

5. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

No one knows. It could be any of the above.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Microsoft is working on a free update for Office 2004. It is supposed to be released sometime in March. It will not be Universal Binary.

7. dr_lha macrumors 68000

They're not unfortunately:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/default.aspx?pid=macIntelQA

No Universal Binaries until the next version of Office, which will probably be 2007 as others have said.

8. Maedus macrumors regular

All my Office 2004 software gets patched/updated through Microsoft AutoUpdate which always run when I least want it to and it isn't very user friendly to quit and now that I'm thinking about it, I'm going to figure out how it autoruns and disable it because I hate it. I downloaded Office my university, but I'd assume store bought versions would also have Microsoft AutoUpdate.

P.S. You can set updating to manual when you manually run the program, for those who care.

9. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Hmm.. since they've stopped developing MediaPlayer, i guess there'll never be a universal binary version of it? Does MediaPlayer actually work well under Rosetta (anybody tried?)

10. rockandrule macrumors 6502

Well, the good thing with them getting rid of WMP for Mac is that they're advertising Flip4Mac which allows you to play .wma and .wmv files via Quicktime. I was aggitated for a very long time before I found that the software, and now Microsoft is advertising it on their site. So yay! That's one less piece of faulty MS software that we have to worry about on our Macs.