When will the Polical Correctness Backlash Happen?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by emw, Nov 15, 2006.

1. emw macrumors G4

emw

I'm watching the news last night and they run a story on a group of people working to stop a school from running a play written by the local drama teacher. In fact, they're going to Federal court seeking an injunction. The play, entitled "Fuggedaboudit", was viewed by the group as promoting stereotypes about the Italian-American community.

Here's a link to the story.

While watching this, I started wondering when we as a nation (world?) will once again be able to make fun of ourselves without constantly trying to pander to the sensitivities of every group around.

Now I'm all for insuring that people have the ability to work and live in an environment that isn't openly hostile to them, but at what point do we decide that we're big enough to take a little teasing? Perhaps I've got it easy because I'm a middle-class white semi-Christian guy in his upper 30's, so haven't had to deal with a lot of stereotypes (aside from the nerdy engineer and Mac geek ones) in my life, but all of this seems overboard.

At some point, will the pendulum swing the other way? Will PC become passé?

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Should we bring back minstrel shows too? It's just a little teasing, that's all.

3. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

:rolleyes:

I suppose we should also stop showing the Godfather movies, or any other film that contains any potentially offensive remarks or views about any group. Let's see, what will be left?

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

emw- I get you, but the point is a lot of Italian folks are sick of getting portrayed this way constantly. I don't necessarily think they're right, but I understand it. I also think a modern minstrel show could be quite interesting, presented in the right context, but what do you think blacks would think of that?

And I must question the wisdom of putting on a play about gangsters in a junior high school.

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Have you seen Sacha Baron Cohen's new movie or little britain? The newest trend in comedy seems to be to attack the weakest and those least able to defend themselves. Not very pretty.

We have gone overboard and we need to let the pendulum swing back a little. I don't care if people celebrate Christmas or Hanukkah or engage in arcane cultural rituals. But, as with the majority of pure ethnic practices, a lot of them are pretty comical and if someone wants to poke fun, then fine. Just like a lot of ethnic food is really, really nasty. Vegemite!?!?!?!

Obviously, the line is a very thin one and not everyone will agree on its correct placement.

When I lived in Seattle, there was a large group of North Africans in my neighborhood. I always admired their willowy gracefulness and dignity but whenever I mentioned it, I always got nasty looks. It was as though any time someone is singled out based on their ethnicity I was committing a major faux pas. We should all be able to embrace not only what is good about our neighbors but also their quirks and bad habits and that embrace doesn't have to be ugly or patronizing.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

We've got an fiercely Italian radio host in the Cleveland area who is an idiot but who at least has a sense of humor about his nationality. It's common for someone who agrees with him to call him up and begin with, "Mega-dagos...."

7. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

It is such a fine line, I suppose. I guess it's just that every time I turn on the TV someone is claiming they're being wronged, while at the same time every other commercial shows the "sterotypical" stupid father who has no idea how to deal with his kids or make dinner or clean the house. Or similarly, fails to help around the house. While I think this is an incorrect generalization, I also recognize that most people realize this and it's being put out there for entertainment.

Perhaps a way to address this is to have a second school-sponsored event that showcases "real" Italian culture and allows people to embrace their diversity, rather than going to court to stop a play.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Not a bad idea.

And we know you're good dad, emw. :)

9. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

This is not just in commercials, take for instance the Simpsons, Married with Children, King of Queens, Everybody Loves Raymond, Bewitched, Home Improvement, Family Guy, I could go on and on and on....

All these shows are based on the male character being "stupid" to the "smart" female role. I am actually hard pressed to think of more then one or two sit-coms that does not have this formula.

Can any one name a sit-com that has the opposite formula? (dumb female to smart male). There might be an uprising if this were to happen...

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Well, women are smarter than we are. ;)

But, you asked for an example: Married with Children...

Peg and Kelly were always a little behind Al and Bud.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Indeed. My favourite coffee mug:

Attached Files:

• mug.jpg
      mug.jpg
      File size:
      109.1 KB
      Views:
  12. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

You are correct on the Married with Children point:p Perhaps that was a bad choice for my example. Al was still a moron:D

My point is not so much who is smarter men or women, but as a father to a 4 year old boy who will one day watch endles "dumb dads" on tv, it is a bit unsettling...

Maybe its because men have less of an issue to being the butt of a joke?

13. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

...says the man with an ass as his avatar. :p

14. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Any culture which can not look back on its past and laugh is doomed to repeat history...:cool:

15. bemylover macrumors regular

yep. I opened a joke thread in this forum about a few reasons why it is better to be male than female and I got tons cursing from righteous and politically correct, but not terribly polite men. The thread ended up in the wasteland :rolleyes:

I agree to the OP, the world is becoming overly politically correct and that's not healthy :)

16. vniow macrumors G4

The reasons for that being...hmm...it was a stupid offensive thread?

17. bemylover macrumors regular

nah. Maybe not terribly smart, but not offensive.

18. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Its a Democratic ass;)

19. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Am still patiently waiting for those who use the phrase "politically correct" to provide a sound definition of it.

As I see it thrown around, it seems:

1.) a convenient way to ignore the ways in which the socially acceptable is implicitly defined

or

2.) a convenient way to dismiss ideas folks don't want to think about.

I don't see any reason to rebel against the concept that the language we use, the art we engage and the pop-culture we live through actively define the way we both act in and perceive the world.

20. bemylover macrumors regular

Yeah pseudobrit, that's what happens when you get too serious about political corectness of certain jokes, you start calling names. There are people walking earth who are ready to kill for "offenses" less than that. That is not healthy reaction, that kind of reaction means soemthing's not quite ok in the society.

Have you seen "Man on the Moon" with Jim Carrey? There are sexist jokes and even racist ones in that movie, should it be banned?

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Just about anything with Jim Carrey in it should be banned.

22. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

whoa, how did we make the leap to censorship?

23. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

True, even with "Liar, Liar", though I love the conference room scene.

24. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

:eek: Ban Jim Carrey! Who will make me laugh at myself any harder than he does! I love the clip in 'Liar' where he is beating himself up in the restroom, this other dude says "what the hell are you doing?" and Carrey says, "I'm kicking my ass" I rolled on the floor.:D :D

People should just take what they need and leave the rest - a lot of b s political correctness actually offends most people in favor of the isolated minority that is speaking up about their imagined rights.:confused:

So many conclude that the whole deal is a crock and close their minds to anything other than their own point of view, which in many cases is only a product of their environment and far from fairness or reality on a universal perspective.

yeah, I'm guilty too - but awareness is half the battle.:rolleyes:

25. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

I think the backlash started a long time ago. People like Marylin Manson and Eminem make a living off of that sort of thing.