When will the rest of the Industy jump to AAC?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jiggie2g, Oct 13, 2004.

1. jiggie2g macrumors 6502

jiggie2g

Is it just me or is it about time the rest of the Industry jump on the AAC bandwagon, i mean c'mon it's almost 2005 and i can't find a single Flash MP3 player , Car Stereo or Home DVD Player that can Play AAC files , not even reg non-DRM AAC. I would love to have a 100-1000 Track AAC CD/DVD in my DVD Player so i can blast my Stereo.

I find this rediculous like everyone has something against AAC or is too busy sucking off MicroSloth to admit that AAC is a superior format and with over 100,000,000 iTunes MS songs sold and close to 10,000,000 iPods sold(my own assumption based on what i have herd). Isn't it time for the rest of the industry to just come on down to the other side.

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

AAC is still relatively new compared to MP3 which started being developed in 1987. Its hard to take a solid format such as MP3 and debunk it as the unoffical standard, even if AAC is a better compression. Its human nature to stick with what one knows.

By "MicroSloth" do you mean Microsoft? What does Microsoft have to do with ACC or MP3? MS created WMA to stay far away from MP3 because they didn't want to pay royalties to Fraunhofer Gesellschaft. I know that some flash players have WMA support, but this is because most desktop users (about 90%) use Windows, not Macs.

Plus I have an iPod, what do I care? Let them eat cake!

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Let them eat sour apples...I'll eat the cake. ;)

4. Whigga Spitta macrumors 6502

It is kind of hard for the whole industry to 'jump' to a proprietary format. From the MS standpoint, don't you think they said the same thing when they developed WMA? Don't you think Sony said the same thing when they came out with whatever they came out with (ATRAC3?)? If AAC is going to be the dominant player in the digital music game, it's time will come...

5. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

AAC is not proprietary, unless you add a DRM. Think of AAC like MP4. I believe it was developed by the MPEG group. In fact, I believe it's the only next-generation format that isn't proprietary. Which means it will probably become the standard, but these things take time. Most people don't see a problem with MP3, and the smaller file size isn't worth jumping formats (think of people with tens of thousands of MP3s). But as portable digital music players become more popular (keep in mind, only a small fraction of the population even have one), smaller file sizes will definitely be an issue. I think AAC is the format of the portable player, just as MP3 was the format of the desktop computer.

paul

6. ewinemiller macrumors 6502

I don't think the rest of the industry will move to AAC anytime soon. If you add AAC to your device, it's still not going to play anything with the Fairplay DRM, so your customer is going to be angry that they can't play the stuff they bought from the itunes music store. Apple has shown no interest in licensing Fairplay to other devices or music stores. As a strategy it seems to be working for them though I'm not sure about the long term viability of that strategy.

There used to be this other company called 3dfx, really cool API called glide, all the best games used it, but you had to have a 3dfx board to play those games. Now glide is nothing and 3dfx is gone. Not saying Apple is going away, but I think when you come up with something that locks the customer in, even if it's what the customer would have selected without the lock in, it will come around and get you in the end.

So if you want to listen to all your stuff on your big stereo, buy a Y cable, in your car, buy a BMW. The iTrip is also a nice option. I use it in the car and at home when I'm too lazy to hook up the Y cable. It also is like a nice remote for the stereo, much better than burning an MP3 CD anyways. That's so 2001. ;)