When will Tiger be on Mac computers?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by VespR, Apr 30, 2005.

1. VespR macrumors regular

Jun 16, 2004
    Hi all,

I'm interested in getting a new mac, but i've noticed that they're still only shipping panther with the existing line of mac computers, except on the powermac.

Will they be extending this to the other machines, such as the mac mini, iMac etc etc any time soon?
  2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    As I understand it, if you buy a Mac from Apple now it should either have Tiger pre-installed or come with an installation DVD so you can put it on yourself. Of course, if you buy a Mac from a retailer who has had it in stock for a while this won't be the case (unless Apple sent them a stock of DVDs to pop in the boxes) but you can get Apple to send you a Tiger disk for a small fee to cover postage.
  3. nagromme macrumors G5

May 2, 2002

There may be a short transition period (days) when Tiger is put in the box but you have to install it yourself because Panther is on the HD. And there are probably a few Panther Macs in stock in different places that don't have Tiger at all--but then you just send in a coupon and pay shipping (sadly) and get Tiger sent to you for free.

So no matter what, if you buy a Mac now you WILL get Tiger.

And soon (maybe this week) there should be new iMacs and eMacs. Any new models like that are a sure bet to include Tiger right in the box.

Just ask when you place your order. But I asked when I ordered my eMac when Jaguar came out--they said I'd have to send away for (free) Jaguar, but in reality there it was in the box when my eMac arrived.
  4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    When I was at the Roosevelt Filed, NY Apple Store to buy Tiger last night, I saw 2 minis and a PB sold. They were given a Tiger DVD (no the boxed version) with their purchase.
  5. Scooby_Doo macrumors member

Apr 5, 2005
    Already Installed

My father ordered a Powerbook G4 12" the friday before the Tiger release, got it on Thursday of this week, and it had Tiger pre-installed with Tiger DVDs in the box. I assume if you order any computer now it should have Tiger on it.
  6. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    If you order it from Apple, his is most likely true. If you order it from some place that has a stock of computers, you might have to go through the Up To Date program.

If you go into the Apple Stores, you are guaranteed to get either Tiger preinstalled or a Tiger kit with the system.