When will Tiger be released?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Damien, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Damien macrumors regular

When will tiger 10.4 be released? I know they wasy 1st half of year (it was 1st quarter of the year at first :( )

Do we have any idea? Are we talking about WWDC or March? I mean do we have an idea?

2. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

Did't steave say that it will be released in 2nd quarter of 05? well atleast i think so.

3. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

We don't have any exact date, it's all up to speculation. I'd have to say March... WWDC seems a bit early. Tiger that soon sure would be nice though! :D

*keeping fingers crossed*

Edit: Haha... whoops :rolleyes: Forgot WWDC was in June... WWDC seems late is what I meant. :eek:

4. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

My guess is around March or April. I think WWDC is considered the second half, and Tiger was promised in the first half, so WWDC is probably not when it will be released. Anyway, like I said, March or April is my guess.

Daniel

5. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

WWDC is in June/July.

Daniel

6. 3Memos macrumors 6502

I think Tiger will be released the same day Jobs gives his Keynote at WWDC. I can't see it being released beforehand or in Sept, which would make it a full 2 years since the last major update.

7. Damien thread starter macrumors regular

Apple promised a release in 1st Quarter. When I was watching the keynote i was taken back by the change of lanuage. It is now the 1st half which includes the first and 2nd quarters. 1st ends in april then 2nd in july (i think).

So the change from 1st quater to first half must mean they dont think they will meet the first quarter. WWDC looks likely.........I was hoping for a date at the keynote. When is the next time they could give the date? Does it have to be at a expo/keynote? Or can it be any time?

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

In the Keynote Steve still didn't change the estimated release date of Tiger. "It will be released the first half of 2005." So if that is calendar year then the March/April or June/WWDC are both plausible. If Nicolas is still active maybe we will have a one month warning.

9. maya macrumors 68040

maya

First half of 2005 means any month/week/date/time from January 01 - June 30. <--- So any time from now till that time. :)

Many people speculate that it will be around ~March 2005. Since it also seems that Apple has stopped playing with its Tiger interface and now has a page dedicated for all its features could signal that it will move into BETA testing soon if it already has not begun. Once BETA testing is completed and a GM (Gold Master) is announced it will only be a couple weeks to package, promote, etc... to the public <--- announcement will happen during an event. :)

Does that answer your question(s). :)

10. Damien thread starter macrumors regular

Yep :D But i think the change of wording from 1st quarter to 1st half means it wont ship until 2nd quarter.

Also if it is annoced at an event, isnt the next event WWDC?

11. joshua_msu macrumors regular

joshua_msu

Do you guys think that when Tiger is released or slightly after, new iBooks will be released with decent video cards that support Core Image? I really want one to comliment my PM, but cant justify the price of a powerbook when I dont need that much power.

12. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Who knows, its Apple. And Jobs.

And next time I see a thread asking if Tiger is coming out soon, it will be harder to suppress my urge to request a mod to warn/delete thread because there are so many of them.

Go to this linkety if you can't search!

Sorry if I got anyone mad, but there are so many of these freakin' things!

13. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

if you want to think practically think like June 30, 2005, last minute, look at itunes canada, he promised that in november 2004, when did it go online Nov 30, 2004.

Rumor has it that tiger is still in alpha, If i remember for panther they did betas the whole summer until the release, so thats like 3 months, lets say it enters beta feb 1. thats feb, march and april. Under this logic no earlier than may and steve promised no later than June 30. I still say my best guess is the last week of June after WWDC.

14. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I would say probably around WWDC. That would be the perfect event to release a new OS from. I just hope that Apple takes their time and gets everything right with this release. When Panther was released it wasn't quite ready. I think since they released a date before it was done, they were rushed into releasing Panther. It wasn't until about OS X.3.2 when it was a good solid OS release.

So I'm glad they haven't released a date. IMO, its done when its done. No sense in rushing it and then having all kinds of problems afterwards just because of a few pissed off impatient customers. Releasing an OS with multiple problems creates more problems....

15. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

I don't recall them ever saying it would be released in the 1st quarter. The first public demonstration was at WWDC last summer and SJ said it would be out the first half of 2005-- a statement he repeated this week at MWSF.

How did Apple do these announcments in the past? I don't see any reason they couldn't just send out press releases, put a big ad on the webpage and start taking pre orders once the date it set. Or any reason why they couldn't have a separate event--a la iTMS expansion events-- except that they would probably want to have additional stuff to say/show off.

16. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816