When will updated Ibooks arrive at retail stores?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jmmdg6, Aug 11, 2005.

1. jmmdg6 macrumors newbie

Jun 19, 2005
    Forgive me if this question has been answered elsewhere, but when will the updated Ibooks and Mini's arrive in retail stores besides the Apple stores? I would have expected them to show up by now, but every retail store I have talked to said they are not there yet and won't be for awhile. This is a problem for me because I have a gift card and cannot buy the updated ibook anywhere besides one certain store, and I am becoming very impatient. Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
  2. NicP macrumors 6502

Jun 14, 2005
    you will probably have to wait until the store runs out of old ibooks and then buys new stock, why dont you call up the store and ask them
  3. xrayzed macrumors member

May 22, 2005
    It probably depends where you are. The latest iBooks landed in Sydney Australia this week, so if you live in the US I'd expect they should be in most cities by now.
  4. TMA macrumors 6502a

Jan 6, 2003
    This isn't usually true for Apple resellers (I assume that's what we're talking about.)

We ordered the iBooks and Mac Mini's very early on, the 14" iBooks are trickling in with some 12" ones on their way. Mac Mini's are taking a while longer.

The older iBooks and Mac Mini's get reduced in price and there are some good bargains to be had, but we never wait until they're all gone before ordering new products. In fact if you want a Mac Mini, it's actually a bit cheaper to buy the older model with all the upgrades already fitted than hold out for a new one with identical specifications.
  5. Project macrumors 68020

Aug 6, 2005
    Im in the EXACT same situation as you. Im getting a gift voucher that will cover the cost for a 12" iBook but I can only spend it at PC World (uk). Their customer service is an absolute joke though. They dont know anything about an updated iBook line. Theyve knocked £100 off the price of the existing line so somebody somewhere knows theyve been replaced, but nobody knows ANYTHING about when the new ones are coming in, if theyve been ordered, or if theyll be stocking them at all.

And I need the laptop for when I start University again in late September.
  6. jmmdg6 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 19, 2005
    It is now Sunday the 14th, and I have still not heard from any US retailers about when the updated Ibooks are expected to arrive. The store I have the gift card for is also completely clueless. Didn't I wait long enough for the updates in the first place? Now who knows how long it will be.
  7. mjstew33 macrumors 601

May 29, 2005
    My CompUSA still has some 1.8GHz Dual PowerMacs, some PowerBook 1.33GHz and some 1.25GHz eMacs

So... I don't know when the iBooks and Mac Minis come in earlier than the others.

But I think it's doubtful :(
  8. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    My local CompUSA has iBook G3s on display... and for sale. No mention of any of the iBook G4s. If you knew nothing about Macs and walked in, you'd probably assume that the G3s were the newest and greatest. :eek:
  9. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    How much are they asking for a new 12" G3, just out of curiosity?
  10. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    If I recall correctly, it's a "Manager's Special" at only $699. :rolleyes: Eh, for only $300 more, I'd rather get the newest iBook G4.