Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daanodinot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 26, 2015
As someone who has used Windows all his life and never used a Mac before, I'm quite excited to buy a Mac for the first time. Actually, 'excited' understates it. It's more like, I can't wait to chop my Windows machines to pieces.

I don't just say this to butt-kiss Mac users on this forum. I used to love Windows, but the direction MS has decided to take after Windows 7, is just infuriating. I wanted an improved desktop system, with an app ecosystem like iOS or the Mac. Instead, the desktop system has remained largely unchanged since Windows 7, the app ecosystem is non-existant, and MS has completely transformed it into a pile of trash by adding the metro design elements on top. Furthermore, I've been using an iPhone and iPad for quite a while, and I'm greatly missing the integration with my iPhone that a Mac would offer me. In short, I've grown to feel alienated from Windows.

This is all besides the point really. As much as I can't wait to buy a Mac, I've resigned myself to waiting for a redesigned MBP. If I'm going to buy my first Mac (and spend all that cash), buying a MBP that basically looks the same as the model from 2008 is not that exciting to me. This article perfectly sums up my feeling about the current state of the MacBooks.

So do you think the next MBP model will integrate the design elements introduced with the 12" MB? I'm basically looking for a MBP that is as minimalistic as the MB port-wise, is much slimmer and lighter, but still powerful enough to do some real gaming on. (Not cutting-edge, but playing Skyrim or platform games for example.) Reading the forums, I expect a redesigned model will introduced in March/April of 2016. What do you think?

Toutou

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2015
Prague, Czech Republic
I don't think a reasonably powerful "Pro" laptop can take design cues from something as minimalistic as the new MB. Slimmer, of course, lighter, of course, but you can't cool an i7 and power it for hours in a super portable body. We just aren't there yet, even with Skylake. And a MacBook PRO with only one port would be pretty laughable.

Falcon9

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2015
Eastern Canada
I wouldn't be surprised if we see some colour options with the next gen, but I doubt we will see a major re-design for a few years yet.

XoFu

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2013
Never, or as far in the future as possible, I hope.
Too many compromisses all around ... In my opinion.

MUBiomed

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
I'm wondering if they will thin it ever so slightly with the addition of the new keyboard design seen on the rMB in addition to color options.

Wreckus

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I can see it getting a bit slimmer, but not a lot. I do expect magsafe power plug to be eliminated and replaced with what the macbook has now. Keyboard will be changed to what the macbook has as well (forgot about that one).

Reactions: kanyehameha

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Hopefully never. Apple has reached the limit.

That fact that they had to go to a significantly less powerful Core M to make a Macbook thinner than the Air alone shows that we've pretty much reached the limit with current computer technology. There's no way they could make the rMBP thinner unless they take battery or the whole system throttles due to heat.

I'm not really sure why everyone is obsessed with more redesigns. Same with the iMac.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Hopefully never. Apple has reached the limit.

That fact that they had to go to a significantly less powerful Core M to make a Macbook thinner than the Air alone shows that we've pretty much reached the limit with current computer technology. There's no way they could make the rMBP thinner unless they take battery or the whole system throttles due to heat.

I'm not really sure why everyone is obsessed with more redesigns. Same with the iMac.

I don't get the redesign obsession either but thats consumerism for you...

I do love the rMB though it is a perfect little laptop that will provide a great computing experience for many many people.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
We'll see it when it happens, it might be fall (but I sincerely doubt that) it could be in 2-3 years time. It is both pointless to speculate and spectacularly unimportant, if you need a new computer buy one, if you don't wait until you do.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So do you think the next MBP model will integrate the design elements introduced with the 12" MB? I'm basically looking for a MBP that is as minimalistic as the MB port-wise, is much slimmer and lighter, but still powerful enough to do some real gaming on. (Not cutting-edge, but playing Skyrim or platform games for example.) Reading the forums, I expect a redesigned model will introduced in March/April of 2016. What do you think?

If Apple goes the minimalistic route with the ports then they can kiss me goodbye. I get a MBP because I want the power, performance and ports. I'm not looking for a larger Retina MacBook and I think the current rMBP is thin enough. I'd rather not see them shave off a few more centimeters just because they can and reduce the ports or sacrifice performance.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
OH PLEASE NO. Its called a MACBOOK PRO. Not a Macbook Useless. The current rMBP is thin enough.

Do you own one? Have you owned one? What makes you so sure it's useless? I did own one and for 98% of uses for 95% of users it's overkill, more hardware than they need. My only big beef was that I absolutely hated the keyboard.

joscejrod

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
As someone who has used Windows all his life and never used a Mac before, I'm quite excited to buy a Mac for the first time. Actually, 'excited' understates it. It's more like, I can't wait to chop my Windows machines to pieces.

I don't just say this to butt-kiss Mac users on this forum. I used to love Windows, but the direction MS has decided to take after Windows 7, is just infuriating. I wanted an improved desktop system, with an app ecosystem like iOS or the Mac. Instead, the desktop system has remained largely unchanged since Windows 7, the app ecosystem is non-existant, and MS has completely transformed it into a pile of trash by adding the metro design elements on top. Furthermore, I've been using an iPhone and iPad for quite a while, and I'm greatly missing the integration with my iPhone that a Mac would offer me. In short, I've grown to feel alienated from Windows.

This is all besides the point really. As much as I can't wait to buy a Mac, I've resigned myself to waiting for a redesigned MBP. If I'm going to buy my first Mac (and spend all that cash), buying a MBP that basically looks the same as the model from 2008 is not that exciting to me. This article perfectly sums up my feeling about the current state of the MacBooks.

New macbook pros are coming in March/June 2016 with skylake processors. Completely redesigned or only with some macbook innovations? We'll see...

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Do you own one? Have you owned one? What makes you so sure it's useless? I did own one and for 98% of uses for 95% of users it's overkill, more hardware than they need. My only big beef was that I absolutely hated the keyboard.

Not sure what you're saying here.... I do own a Macbook Pro....

myscrnnm

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Seattle, WA
Not sure what everyone is going on about. The 2016 MacBook Pro absolutely takes design cues from the Retina MacBook. They both have anodized aluminium cases with rounded edges, a logo with a mirror-like finish, simple cutout at the front for the lid to open, same hinge design, both have the butterfly keyboard, the speakers holes are the same pattern, just in a different location, et cetera. Both are unmistakably Apple products. How much more can the MacBook Pro look like the Retina MacBook other than a tapered body? Unless people are talking about the specifications (eg CPU class), which has absolutely nothing to do with "design cues."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.