When will we see OS 11 ????

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MRU, Feb 24, 2006.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

OS-X is getting on a bit now, and with constant upgrades each year .1 .2 .3. 4 .5 etc..... When are we finally going to hear some talk the true next operating system.

Will we have to wait till 10.9 or when Apple have ran out of cat/feline species before even rumors start?

2. Joe2000 macrumors member

Joe2000

I don't know, but i'd like to...:D

Thanks, Joe.

3. briangig macrumors regular

Next Tuesday.

And right now, I bet they dont have much more than a scant idea for 11...me thinks they have enough to do right now. Get X on all the new macs running good first.

And hey, if you listen to John C. Dvorak, Apple is gonna switch to windows anyway.

4. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

LOL.. Yeah I'd certainly like to see some improvements on my frigging Airport Extreme on Imac Core Duo... Terrible peformance from it.

Just the thought of more stupid cat names OS 10.6 Oscelot - 10.7 Jaguarundi - 10.8 Caracal - 10.9 Serval and so on drives me insane.... :p

Maybe with 11 it will be types of dog. Oh wait that's VISTA that's a dog :D

5. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

the OSX label and name have grown synonymous with apple over the past years. imagine what would happen of they brought out OS XI?

im doubtful as to whether they would change the name, unless of course the update is So groundbeaking as to merit a complete name change or shift from OS X. fun speculation though: what do you think could be such a groundbreaking feature as to warrant a change?

S

6. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Perhaps when they stop supporting the G3,4,5 chips and everything is intel, they'll make the move to 11. Make it clear that the new OS doesn't support power PC. Kind of like hte move from 9 to 10.

But it's a bit meaningless, because the dot improvements are pretty substantial in their own right.

7. UberMac macrumors 6502

In WWDC 2005 (intel transition and all) Steve said that Mac OS X was all set to last us another 20 years! So I guess we'll see OS11 in ... errr ... 2025 (maybe 2026 - 50th Birthday and all :D )...That is unless they implement OS11 on the iPod and leave the actual Mac users floating around with tiger forever!

8. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Maybe some kind of integrated thought command ability. Like an iSight it stares at you while your working and emits a small radiowave that reads your mind/thoughts and acts accordingly.

So if your thinking 'mariah carey is a honey' it would open safari, amazon, wikipedia & google and find all the information on miss carey + where to buy honey and all ascoicated bee information; purchase a couple of cd's and then kindly offer to book you into an mental insitution all in one go.... :)

9. jer2eydevil88 macrumors regular

jer2eydevil88

I think we'll see OS X.X.1 before we see OS11

10. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Or, you know...it might draw the logical conclusion and open iTunes and play "Honey" by Mariah Carey. :) :)

11. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Either way were screwed :D

12. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

OS X is a marketting dream come true. It has the moniker of "X" which means so much, is so tightly branded w/ Apple that getting away from OS X wouldn't be a smart move. In short, I see the "X" playing the same roll that "Windows" does for Microsoft; you can't just ditch the term "Windows" with them anymore. So it's variations of Windows, "98," "XP," "Vista," etc.

I suspect you'll see the same thing with OS X eventually.

13. Selenolycus macrumors regular

I don't really see a need to have an OS 11... *nix releases are all gradual, and OS X have been for the past few years. Windows may continue with the "major revision" concept, but there really isn't a distinct advantage in it from a practical standpoint.

14. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

We will be seeing OS X for a long, long time (probably as long as Apple is UNIX based).

And I've heard so many people ask; "What will happen once they get to 10.10.x?" and I tell them, "We will see OS 10.11.x and then OS 10.12.x, and so on."

There is no reason why Apple would need to switch to OS 11 - ever.

15. kjdenison macrumors 6502

Im guessing apple will definatley switch from 10. It's not like apple to keep things the same forever. look at the powerbook, i mean the macbook pro. The times they are a changing.

16. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

The upgrades from Jaguar to Panther and then to Tiger have been very substantial OS upgrades. Each of these has taken steps equal to or larger than the usual Windows upgrades (95 to 98.. etc...) There isn't any need for an OS 11. Every needed upgrade finds its way to the next version of OS X.

With OS X being built on a firmly established UNIX foundation, there isn't the need to rebuild from the ground up the way OS X did from 9 and its predecessors. Stability and user interface are top in the industry. There's just no need for 11 anytime soon. I don't know if it'll last for 20 or 25 years (like someone above quoted Steve as saying), but I think another 5-10 years of OS X is easily conceivable.

17. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Yeah, but the first powerbook came out in October 1991, and they are just coming to an end 15 years later...

18. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I've already got OS XI...it's running on my Powerbook G5. I haven't upgraded my iHome (connected to my Apple plasma HDTV) yet.

19. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

I have to agree with you...OS X does sound very powerful and solid;)

20. this is funah macrumors 6502

this is funah

i honestly hope so.

i am so happy with the ease of compatability with the .3 to .4 and so on. OS X is great, and the continuous updates are all we need and then some. OS XI shouldnt come until after .9

:D

21. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

I agree there is no need to change to OS XI, but if they do it will be when we move to solely 64 Bit systems and intel only.

22. suzerain macrumors regular

You guys haven't been listening...

Mac OS X != Mac OS 10.

In the beginning, when OS X was announced, Steven Jobs was pronouncing it "Mac OS Ten". However, he (and everyone else) is now pronouncing it "Mac OS X".

Jaguar was, for all intents and purposes, "Mac OS 12", Panther was "Mac OS 13", and so on, even though they didn't change the under-the-hood version numbering.

Like other posters, I don't think they will ever go to OS 11, either. Personally, I think Leopard: 10.5 really equals Mac OS X 5.

At any rate, the version number is just marketing, and therefore unimportant; 10.2 -> 10.3 -> 10.4 was just as big an update as Mac OS 7 -> Mac OS 8 -> Mac OS 9. Development can just happen faster nowadays because OS X has a more modular core than the old Mac OS did.

23. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I've never heard Steve Jobs say "OS 'EX'". He always pronounces the number 'ten'. And I've watched ALOT of keynotes, old and new. People just sound ignorant saying OS 'Ex.' Its a Roman numeral.

24. taylorpc macrumors member

I think we will continue to see the updates we've been seeing, as well as the feline names for major revisions... up until OS 10.9 After that, I can see Apple creating OS X: ________________ (insert noun or adjective here). Perhaps an entirely new user interface coupled with a host of new technologies and features. Just a thought!