When will we see the next iPod Mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mac_gal, Aug 6, 2004.

1. mac_gal macrumors member

... not for a LONG time, I know. But I haven't seen much speculation on this, and I was wondering what people think.

When do you think the next iPod Mini will be out? Do you think Apple might soon introduce (for example) an 8 gig Mini and sell it alongside the current 4 gig? This could help alleviate supply issues, and it would make me happy. :)

I noticed the regular iPod seems to be updated every 6-9 months. Do you think the Mini will follow suit? If so, that could make an update (or at least an addition) imminent.

So what do you say?

2. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

30 "Should I buy now, or wait" threads ensue...

3. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

The mini uses a different technology than the iPod. Because of the hard drive sizes and capacity, you will probably not see an update until the drive sizes change considerably. Seeing as how the mini drives are just pushing 6 gigs now, there seems little point in a refresh.
    Apple has a habit of allowing some time to pass and squeezing margins out of models. I suspect if anything they will eventually drop the cost of the mini and add a larger capacity model but not anytime before the holidays.

The mini just went worldwide. Demand outstrips supplies. iPod is the #1 music player. They will get all the holidays sales and MAYBE at MWSF announce a capacity boost.

4. mac_gal thread starter macrumors member

No. :)

If you look at the Buyers Guide , you see that iPods are updated every 6-9 months. The iPod Mini has been out for about this amount of time, so it is perfectly acceptable to speculate. :)

5. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Toshiba just developed a new 6 gig slim drive that would go in the ipod mini. But I don't see any new models with the 6 gig drive till at least December or MWSF. Cosmetic changes I would have no idea except for it would no doubt be a LONG way from now considering they just made the regular Ipod look just like it.