When you sit back and look at it...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Machead III, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Machead III macrumors 6502

Machead III

Nov 4, 2002
    UK, France
    Today was pretty... disappointing :|

As I heared all the new features announced, I was psyched beyond all recognition, but the news that it won't even be released in EU and Asia (two largest phone markets in the world) for 12 whole months, the nerdgasm of Apple finally releasing a Newton/phone device actually died....

And then came the news that it'd cost 499/599 including contract subsidy, and a two year contract at that, and one that will probably be at least $35pm... and my enthusiasm was quickly reduced to zero. This might literally be the most expensive mainstream phones per tech in recent times. (35x24)+599=1439 USD or £739.... locked.

Then the keynote ended, and I realised not only was there no Leopard preview, not only was there no iLife for the first time, not only was there no iWork, but there were no products immediatly shipping.

Not even international movies.

It was an incredible show, but I can't help but thinking that.... nothing, actually, happened, as far as we are concerned.
  2. R.Youden macrumors 68020

Apr 1, 2005
    Yeah I agree.

iPhone is great and everything else but I wanted to see something of Leopard. The OS is far bigger than a phone. I use my laptop every day and a major upgrade to the OS is a lot more useful to me, and probably many people on here too. Also the 'Apple' TV (what a crap name!) is a huge let down. They NEED to have a EyeTV style thing in there too, oh no sorry that will eat into the iTunes downloads, yeah right! Sorry, typical Apple, loads of fan-fare and pretty picture, but as usual no really useful info.

All mouth and no trousers!
  3. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

Jan 25, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    I think there are two main reasons Apple showed the iPhone today. One...to take a little edge off any positive momentum that the Zune may be getting. Two...they kinda ticked off the media in the past with lackluster media announcements (iPod HiFi..etc.), so Steve had to present it here to make sure he had the media watching and get their good graces back. If he had presented the iPhone at WWDC or a media event closer to the release date, I doubt it would have gotten a quarter of the attention it got today.

Sure, it kinda sucks that iLife, iWork and Leopard were ignored...but the Mac faithful know they are coming and they ship on all new machines, so they don't really need the press push of a new product.
  4. irain macrumors regular

Aug 1, 2005
    I also agree with the OP. To me, stuff about Leopard (even iLife 07' or iWork) would have been more interesting than the iPhone. I think there are plenty of phones that have technology that's equivalent to that of the iPhone... there's just not as much eye candy.

Would anyone else agree that Apple is using an abundance of eye candy as a major marketing strategy for the iPhone?
  5. R.Youden macrumors 68020

Apr 1, 2005
    I think that is Apple through-and-through now. Where is the "killer" feature on teh iPhone? I can't think of anything. I am sure come the end of the year Nokia, Sony Ericsson will have similar phones. It doesn't mean that I dont want one though!
  6. irain macrumors regular

Aug 1, 2005
    I think the best feature is the map widget. I live in an area where the satellite picture quality is amazingly clear... and it would be extremely handy once I start driving in a few months. Still probably not getting one, though... I like the Sidekick 3 better. Simple monthly plan for just-as-good features.
  7. tobefirst macrumors 68040

Jan 24, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    I know better than to post in one of these threads, but what the heck...

The keynotes are ALWAYS disappointing. Always. The thing you want most is never released or isn't up to the thoughts in your head. I am, in no way, speaking to the OP here, but to everyone, including, for the most part, myself.

I have learned, however, that this disappointment is going to be the case if you buy into everyone's predictions of what is going to happen. I read about it on MR after every keynote how this or that wasn't announced, and how the thing that was announced doesn't have this or that.

Regarding the iPhone...there is no killer feature, per say. What makes the phone "killer" is the beauty in which the typical phone elements are applied. Every phone nowadays can store photos and use them as wallpaper...but not in a solution as elegant and simple as the one Apple uses. This (for me) MINOR feature is indicative of the products that Apple makes, and the general features of those products. No killer features, just one awesomely killer implementation of good features.
  8. yg17 macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    the keynote sucked as bad as the cellular provider the phone will be on
  9. kainjow Moderator emeritus

Jun 15, 2000
    Do you really think iLife 07 or iWork 07 will be that exciting? Leopard will probably be as lame for consumers as Tiger was, unless there is still "one more thing". Time Machine is about the only good thing from Leopard besides your typical updates.

The iPhone will probably be the #1 talked about item for Apple this year. $500 is not bad for the tech that is in this device. Compare a $500 iPhone to a $400 5GB first-gen iPod. Then quit yer crying ;)
  10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    If you sum it up as "iPhone is a touchscreen phone", it's not all that exciting. It's a Palm Treo. It's a lot of other things. It's not exciting.

However, the UI is absolutely incredible. If Palm or MS, Nokia, etc, were to make a touchscreen, I'm sure it would just allow you to push the screen rather than physical buttons. That's not the case here....not all the time. The icons are clean and easy to understand as well. When I look at the icons used on my Motorola, the icons are not clear at all. The icons don't clearly tell me what they do. But really, it's the UI and how the touchscreen bit was implemented, because lets face it, this isn't the first touchscreen phone. It's just that things like Smartphones don't have it implemented very well.

To me, it's like the 2 finger scroll on Mac laptops. Sure, it took Apple a long time to implement, but they sure got that right. Now when I use my friend's Dell's trackpad, it feels like 1997, and not easy to use at all.

Oh, and notice how Apple didn't even mention Canada or Australia. I guess I'll have to move before I ever see it. :rolleyes:
  11. Bern macrumors 68000

Nov 10, 2004

Sometime in 2008 for Australia (probably towards the end). This MW was a waste of time. The iPhone should have had it's own event.
  12. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

Feb 12, 2005
    Caracas, Venezuela
    I totally agree. We wanted new Macs!
  13. technicolor macrumors 68000

Dec 21, 2005
    start your own company and then you can roll out new computers at your leisure.