When?

Discussion in 'Community' started by mischief, Sep 11, 2002.

1. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

When will we, as a species learn to see?

When will we learn that compassion can more reliably bring justice than can bombs?

When will the downtrodden of the world be seen through the eyes of everyman and not through the fog of fear?

When will we realize that all people have the same goals in life: To live not in fear but in joy, safe with our families?

When will the simple wants of all people outweigh the animosity in a few powerful men?

When will those few powerful men see the folley in their manipulations?

When will there be a media without the influence of those few men?

When will the world's remaining peasants be given a chance to know they are being used as cannon fodder?

When?

Before my children are grown? Before I die? Before my children have grown old and died in the same mess of fear, xenophobia and Zealotry?

When will we be content as one people without force, facism or genocide?

When?

2. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I agree 100%. We know not what we do. We do not future. We do not the people we kill. All we know is fear and we must kill what we fear. It's so idotic.

3. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

As long as sin is in this world we wont learn and it wont be as utopia ish as we would like it. Destruction is inevitable unfortunatly.

4. mischief thread starter macrumors 68030

mischief

-B2TM

As much as that is the obvious answer, I refuse to let it be the Only one. With the growth of he world's first true global forum we finally have a chance we've never had: Dialog and real understanding is as close as the village PC. Never give up hope, only strive to encourage change.

Courage B.;)

5. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Oh there is hope alright. Jesus is the only way.

6. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

mischief. I agree.

It starts with every person, one at a time. The problem is that there will always be people out there that will harm, murder, kill, etc. The reason is because evil will always be with us.

7. mischief thread starter macrumors 68030

mischief

I understand your point of view but can I suggest that it's the Jesus in each of us that must work the transformation?

I have noticed that as a whole, society is quite literally weary of all this ******** and would really rather just be nice and enjoy the diversity of prespective... Much as your choice of language raises my own personal bias (too many bad things done in the name of Christ) you are correct, we need to each stay true to The Path while helping each other to do the same. No matter what you use as a format.

8. mischief thread starter macrumors 68030

mischief

Rather than dispair that there will always be people too caught up in their own fears to play nice we must learn to do nothing more than ignore or laugh at them. Fearing them is to aid them and resigning them to being an inevitable consequence of humanity is to absolve ourselves of our own part in their creation.

Such people are most often a damaged product of their early bad environment, therefore globallized compassion is the only recourse.

There is no Evil, there is only Pain.

9. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

I agree. Thanks for being tolerant.

rock it

10. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

I kindly disagree with most of that. But thats my view. I respect yours though and I will not mock it.

rock.

11. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

What I want to know is

Is there anywhere on earth I can be right now where nobody is flogging this 9/11 ********? How much longer is this going to last? I was awake on that morning, it was miserable, and I will be able to remember it perfectly well, and mourn in my own way for a very long time without anyone else's help. Is there anyone else on the verge of retching at this pap? I want to go somewhere where the news is about what happened today and not a year ago, where it's not peppered by lit candles and me-too cutesy ribbons (because any network not displaying such things is of course grossly liberal and un-American), where the anchors aren't reading pre-prepped expansions on the philosophies of evil off their teleprompters and so on. Lots of people died this time last year and it was terrible, but things are happening in the world right now that desperately need our attention. Yet we're stuck in the past and oblivious to the present and future (except as the present and future involve our attempts to "get justice" and all that *****). Why can't we move on?

Maybe none of this is relevant to this particular thread, but I think if I had posted it in the 9/11 thread it would have gotten very ugly. (And it probably still will but... oh well, sorry)

12. mischief thread starter macrumors 68030

mischief

Nope, It's PERFECTLY relevant to this thread.

That's EXACTLY why I posted it. I refuse to participate in a Propoganda Buildup to a War that will be fought against confused peasant cannon fodder Zealots. Therefore I advocate Compassion as loudly as I can and still be listened to.

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

When?

Not any time soon - we're in for a bumpy ride for a while.

Disparity in living conditions, famine, overpopulation and ignorance (a huge problem) will continue and exert more pressures that will cause lashing out against 'others' all over the world.

The need for food and having to deal with overcrowding 10, 20, 30 years from now when so little space will be available for the 10+ Billion humans on the planet, will cause more and more migration, regional wars and hopefully not result in chemical/biological/nuclear weapons being brought to bear.

And there isn't an easy solution - we're all going to have to suffer a bit and learn to live differently than we do today. Hopefully, things will all work out and we'll be able to look back at the 2000s as a transition period.

D

14. mischief thread starter macrumors 68030

mischief

15. vniow macrumors G4

Wow, thre's a lot of protest against attacking Iraq according to the BBC. I had no idea.:confused:

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The way I see it, Saddam will end up doing something that will cause America to say to the rest of the world - 'See, we told you so!' and then go in and remove Saddam.

The only problem with that is more people have to die - innocent people. But without significant support from the rest of the world, it will only make things go sour for US world policy. We will look even worse than we do now.

Instead of bullies, we'll be peacekeepers and heros. Its tough, and probably making all sorts of people really mad that we can't do anything right now, but unless something else comes to light (obvious nukes for Saddam), we'll have to wait, otherwise it will cause us more problems in the future.

D

17. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

honestly...

we'll get these things...and more...

in our afterlives...

18. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i hear that eye.

in order to achieve these things, it requires a massive revolution. and clearly not a violent one. but a revolution of humanity and human nature. which in a way is impossible. ie, human nature is human nature. can't change. however, i feel that we can evolve, and thus change. now, that's my fairly idealistic look at it

on a more realistic level, unfortunately, i see little hope for such results in my lifetime if ever.

but alas, i am saved by the hope for eternal life. for all people. christians, muslims, jews, atheists, etc etc.

that actually cheers me up some. word

and yeah, it's one thing to on a large scale commemorate, it's another to make it everything that today means.....

19. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I feel that it is hardwired into to us as a species to fight. At the current stage in our evolution we will not be able to stop tearing at each other's throats. Perhaps in a few thousand years we will learn to cope but odds are we will just kill each other on a grander scale.

20. mischief thread starter macrumors 68030

mischief

I'm more optimistic.

We've already done the Grande Scale Killing bit. We have a new tool for peace and understanding..... you're using it right now. The Web has the potential to be a "Global Subconcious" and allow communication across the globe that can short-circuit agression by bypassing the beurocrats. Grassroots peace!:eek:

21. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Humans are evil by nature. The founders of this country had this in mind when creating the constitution. As long as there is government, there will be people who disagree with it, and hate it. Without government, there would be anarchy, because there will always be someone who wants to be the ruler.

I believe that mankind won't ever see true world peace unless something happens that makes every person on this planet realize their humanity, so that they see that there is no need, time, or place for hate on this world.

22. mischief thread starter macrumors 68030

mischief

Anarchy: (Greek)from anarkhos, "without a ruler".

In a purely technical sense a Senate and no Emperor is Anarchy. The modern re-interpretation of the word came out of the political upheaval of the early 20th century when "Anarchists" engaged in terrorism in an attempt to create an uprising of the common man. The resulting backlash-of-opinion changed the common usage of the word.

BTW: People aren't inherently evil. That's a Catholic control measure.

23. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

I kindly disagree. If you care to see another perspective read C.S. Lewis's book titled "Mere Christianity".. he lays it down in a logical sense without any of that "Christian mumbo jumbo" or any scripture at all. If you care. I mean yeah sure the Catholics did use that concept for their gain but the concept of evil is not exclusive to just one religion or doctrine. But I know its just my opinion etc. etc. and it doesnt work for you.... I just want to offer you another perspective if you care. If you dont thats okay I understand. :D

24. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i also disagree. about the second part that is

not the first.

oh but i'm catholic, so i guess i have to disagree with the first part too... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: