When's Core 2 scheduled to ship?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by generik, May 30, 2006.

1. generik macrumors 601

generik

I'm really looking forward to some kick ass MacPros and MacBook Pros with Core 2s inside!

Any chance that they'd be out by WWDC?

2. Macer macrumors regular

Not sure, but i think i have seen July floating around somewhere.

3. manic macrumors regular

Server, desktop and mobile core 2 duos to be released in june, july and august, respectively, according to a statement by intels CEO during meeting with analysts, reports cnn/money

Apple likely to be an early adopter

4. gman71882 macrumors 6502

gman71882

THAT is the most likely reason that the WWDC was pushed back to August from June:D :cool: :eek: ;)
    Im wating for the Core 2 Macbook PRO

5. iGary Guest

iGary

This just in:

"Intel has named it's newest line of 65nm Core™ chips in a press release:"

Core More 4 U 2 Dynamic Duo

6. cyberdogl2 macrumors regular

it's gonna be a little different from apple now, now that intel is making better classes of processors every few couple months or so. can anyone list the real tangible differences between core duo and core2duo?

7. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

8. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'm looking forward to the release of the Merom processors, mainly for the release of the GMA965 chipset. Once they put the GMA 965 into the MacBooks, I'm buying.

(hint: GMA965 supports hardware h.264 encoding, and vertex shading and hardware T&L, none of which the GMA950 supports).

I hope Apple will do that guickly!

9. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Yes, this is what I'm waiting for as well. The GMA 965 supposedly supports all of Vista's Aero Glass interface crap, and it's sure to be an improvement over the GMA 950.

Here's to HL2 on a GMA 965 Macbook.

10. Nate4747 macrumors regular

That sounds pretty decent, actually. I have a MB with the 950 right now and it really isn't that bad. Sure I can't game but 1080p video plays without dropping any frames.

11. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

I think Apple's decision to release Intel iMacs as soon as Core Duo shipped represents their new paradigm for product rollout. I expect Merom will be in the MBPs within a week of their shipment. Probably in the iMacs, too.

At any rate, Merom will allow Apple to differentiate their portable line... I didn't know about the GMA965, but that will help too. My guess:

MacBook Pro 15", 17" with Merom, dedicated graphics
    MacBook 15" with Core Duo and GMA 950
    MacBook 13" same as now (perhaps speed bumped) but starting at $999
    MacBook Pro 13" with Merom and GMA 965

dreaming? maybe, but I don't think I'm drinking cool-aid. I also expect the mini to dump the solo, and drop to $499 (maybe not at the same time, but one of the two soon)

12. ouphe macrumors regular

So what are the chances that the chip-change will occur during the back-to-school sales event they always have going on? I'm thinking about getting a Macbook to tide me over for the summer, but if new Macbooks Pros will be coming out before the summer ends, I may just wait for those...

-Colin

13. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Is there really a point for the upgrade? I'm kind of upset about how fast Intel has moved with the Dual Core processor. Core 2 Duo is supposed to be "20% better" on performance and provide better battery life.

Unfortunately, they are soldered onto the Macbook Pro's motherboards. I really don't see a reason for this. Most students only have hour/two hour classes, and a Macbook Pro with a full screen can get through two hours easily. If it's longer or they have to go to the library later they can easily stick it on the charger. :rolleyes:

14. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

:confused:

Yonah was a transitional chip. If you bought it, then that will teach you a lesson about being an early adopter. Not that it's a bad chip, it's just that Merom is better. Such is life in the digital world.

If you are upset about progress, maybe you should move to a small town where life usually moves slower? Maybe there is a farm somewhere you can live on? Merom is going to be faster, run cooler, be more efficient, and have support for 64bit. Why wouldn't you want that? If you don't need it, then stick to what you have. Don't get mad because of progress. There are a lot of us that welcome the new technology if it make our lives better. However, you probably don't need it if you're milking cows somewhere... ;)

15. smokeyboi macrumors member

oh man....you are so funny dude! ahahahahaha

NOT:rolleyes:

16. milo macrumors 604

But he IS right...

Things move fast, just deal with it.

17. Subiklim macrumors 6502

Yeah, and anyone who buys the new meroms will be a sucker too, because they're coming out with newer ones in mid 2007 with a faster FSB and larger cache. :rolleyes:

18. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

You crack me up. :)

The reason they got rid of the 12" form factor was because the product lines were too similar. As it is, MacBooks have the same chip as the MBP.

19. imacintel macrumors 68000

try intel.com. They have stuff about Core 2 Duo, and its specs+pricing. It also comes in Core 2 Duo Extreme(long enough for ya?!

20. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

21. macsrockmysocks macrumors regular

I don't get it:confused:

22. smokeyboi macrumors member

Actually, the new 65nm merom's are sort of a transitional chip as well. A new 45nm merom along with a faster 800mhz fsb and a new santa rosa chipset will be released early 2007! So i guess according to you, anyone who buys a new macbook with a merom will be a sucker for being an early adopter as well huh?

23. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

A-effing-men.

I want to get a new MacBook/MacBook Pro so badly but I want to hold out for the chip change.

24. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

LOL aw it's all good your purchase is fine. It's an awesome comp that will last you a long time. But he does speak the truth you know. Rev A's man, Rev A's......

25. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Mini Speed Bumps

That's why I want a Mini as soon as it gets a speed bump and goes rev. B. I can then put off replacing my 6 yr old G4 450 'Sawtooth' until next year when the 45 nm's are out and my Mini that I get this summer as a much needed stop-gap will become my multimedia machine. I am interested in the integrated gma965 but don't know if the Mini will see that. One thing is for sure, you can count on Apple for longevity, considering I got 6 yrs out of a rev A. G4 that is still holding its own.