When's next iPod OS coming out?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dimochka, Feb 27, 2003.

1. dimochka macrumors newbie

Feb 27, 2003

Does anyone have any idea when next iPod OS will be released? And what's going to be new in it?

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    this one has me wondering, too. if new ipods are released, and they're a similar hardware setup, we should get a new OS as well-- but if they impliment color screens or whatever (which they won't) the newer OS won't be supported on older iPods.

so basically, maybe sometime soon, or else whenever they get around to it--

personally, i expect better integration with things like iCal... more functions, and maybe a newer game...

3. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    if anyone really knows they aren't saying because most of us are waiting every tuesday to see if anything happens. One can only assume that the next hardware update coudl increase fucntionality like the updates in the past have (ex. contacts and calendar features) I suggest you try looking through these other threads first to get a better idea of what might happen in terms of hardware upgrades:

As for the OS,I think all of the current iPod owners are hoping for new firmware to fix the battery issues and maybe one day an open Os so they more perihperals will be supported, although i'm not gonna hold my breath on that one.
  4. dimochka thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 27, 2003
    Re: When's next iPod OS coming out?

Tetris and some simple visualizations (like bars) would be all I can dream of. :D
  5. stuckwithme247 macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2003
    here is something i have been pondering for a while, what if you could attach a firewire cable from ipod to ipod and exchange songs? that would be amazing. i am sure it can be done by apple, if not someone can make it?
  6. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    If Apple did that, they would have the music industry bitching loudly at them. This will not happen.
  7. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    i know, this would also require a more functional os and an outbox/inbox right now we dont see the iPod doing much without a computer ie renamig or deleting things even. I mean if were nto supposed to take music from the ipod to a comptuer althought its possible with 3rd party software. I don't hink its impossible but apple will never support it. if it were ever possible for each ipod to convince the other that it was a computer then may but still how would one organize which songs were sent.