Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rhyno37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Hey guys, for a while now I've had an urge to go back to an iPhone (I switch phones a lot, had the 4S and now the Galaxy S3). With the 5S being announced, do you expect the market to be flooded with the 5? How much do you expect the price to drop? I assume the best time to buy will be the day of and days following the 5S release next Friday. What are some good places to look other than Craigslist, ebay and swappa? Thanks!

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013
Firstly, do you know that iPhone 5 has been discontinued? Not that it matters one bit. It's a great phone, but I'm going to say if you want one that's new then I would try and get it within the next two weeks. Personally I wouldn't want one off Craigslist or eBay either...

Rhyno37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Firstly, do you know that iPhone 5 has been discontinued? Not that it matters one bit. It's a great phone, but I'm going to say if you want one that's new then I would try and get it within the next two weeks. Personally I wouldn't want one off Craigslist or eBay either...

Sorry, I should have specified. Lightly used, aka mint condition is what I'd be looking for. Why wouldn't you want one from there?

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
Sorry, I should have specified. Lightly used, aka mint condition is what I'd be looking for. Why wouldn't you want one from there?

The longer you wait the cheaper they get. I don't see any massive price drops other than now. Those that are upgrading are selling between now and release day to upgrade. After that will be business as usual. I wouldn't expect any big decreases. Just your typical as it gets older it gets cheaper deal.

Tthomas612

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2013

Personally I've had issues on Craigslist with IMEI's and ESN's. of course now I check them all before I buy them, but I've met a lot of shady people from Craigslist. Not so bad on eBay

Rhyno37

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2011
Personally I've had issues on Craigslist with IMEI's and ESN's. of course now I check them all before I buy them, but I've met a lot of shady people from Craigslist. Not so bad on eBay

I think I found someone to trade me plus cash. Gonna meet at the Verizon store though to make sure everything's good.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
i got an iPhone 5, 64GB running iOS 6.1.2 in mint condition for $528. it included 2 cases, 2 cables, and 1 charger

use that as some basis as to what they are selling for after Tuesday. prior to that, you could expect to pay minimum $650 for a "good condition" one

----------

yeah bc if someone sells you a blacklisted IMEI/ESN on eBay, you can file a dispute with eBay, PayPal, and even your CC that you put it on and get it all back

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.