When's the next iBook update likely?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Danger! Will, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Danger! Will macrumors regular

Danger! Will

What's do you think the next update will be? Faster CPU? More RAM?

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I think it will be a while. Probably everything else will be updated before the iBooks are, and the next iBook update will probably be pretty minor: just speed increases. Hopefully it will get the entire lineup over 1Ghz.

3. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

it will probably be in the late summer/early fall for the back to school crowd. one would figure it will be the last line to be updated. and yes probably a speed bump, bigger hd's and maybe a SD on the 14.1 in model. just my thoughts

4. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

A long time as we must wait for new G5PM, new G4/G5PB, new iMacs (G5?), likely new eMacs, new Apple screens...and then I guess the iBook. Sure it could all happen in the next 3-4 months, but no new hardware has appeared for what, 6 months iirc, so I would think the iBook will remain as it for 3-9 months more pending other releases.

5. nargot macrumors regular

there definitely will only be two ibook models or to put it another way there wont be another 933 or 1ghz stupid option. ram will probably stay the same. cpu will probably be bumped slightly. when it will happen, anytime from 1st april.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Probably after the PowerBooks, since Apple doesn't like selling low-end machines that clock faster than the top-end.

Last time Apple sold slow 200MHz PowerMacs with 604s and 275MHz Performa 603s, people would buy the faster MHz Performas and think they were the faster machine -- even though they benchmarked MUCH slower.

7. jhomayne macrumors regular

well the buyer's guide has just been updated to "Don't Buy - Updates Soon"

8. Danrose1977 macrumors regular

Danrose1977

Despite that I don't think the next update will be any great leap. Probably something like: 12' 1Ghz with 384 Mb Ram as standard and a 14' with a 1.2 Ghz processor....

Personaly I'm still happy with my 12' 800 Mhz... this is just to make the iBooks look more atractive alongside Apples other consumer ranges.

Perhaps they'll boost the HD's too....

9. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Combined with the fact that the Powerbooks aren't, that is odd. The powerbooks are the only other line that have to be updated before the iBooks. If the iBooks make a jump and the powerbooks don't, they'd be roughly the same exact speed. I would say the iBook updates will come out soon after the powerbook ones.

10. bnemesis macrumors regular

That happened a week or so ago with the powerbooks. I think somebody said that the buyers guide automatically inserts its comments depending on how close the last date of update is to the average. Today, 151 days have passed since last update and the average for updates is 151.

The Powerbook has been reverted to "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle". I suspect that the iBook will join it soon.