Whens the next os?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jer446, Jun 4, 2005.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2004
    I was just wondering, when does apple change it from like osx to os 11? Do they have to go all the way to 10.9? Did they do the same thing for os9? Im just a little confused as why tiger isnt os11
  2. G5Unit macrumors 68020

Apr 3, 2005
    I'm calling the cops
    Os 9 went to 9.2.1 I believe. I think they are going to got to 10.5, but I dont know.
  3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    Apple will switch to Mac OS 11 when they've made even more sweeping changes to the Mac OS than were made to Tiger. In the end, it's Apple's call what changes are big enough to require a major number change.
  4. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Mar 5, 2005
    Right now we are in uncharted territory.
    The X.1 updates are more like new OSes than in the old pre-10 days.
    Right now I'm very happy with Tiger, and not worried about the new one.
    They could go all the way to 10.9 I guess, if the core of OS X stays mainly the same over the next decade or so!
  5. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Feb 27, 2005
    I expect the next major OS to be out around 2009 or 2010. I think we'll see maybe two more "Tiger" like updates to OS X before 11 is out.

My guess:

Late 2006 - 10.5
    Late 2008 - 10.6
    Early 2010 - OS 11.0
  6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says...in some cases, the naming of the OS seems to have more to do with marketing than actual radical changes in the OS itself. This is especially true in the pre-OS X days (daze?)...what came out as OS 8 really was not that radical and while there were significant improvements from 8.0 to 8.6.x again the jump from 8.6.x to 9.0.x was not that big - more about marketing. With the advent of OS X though it has been a lot clearer - there have been very good improvements in each major release despite some small steps backwards in each initial release, mostly resolved in the ..1 or ..2 free updates. So after having said all that, it is much too early to talk about any even remotely informed knowledge of what/when the next major release will be....oh yeah!
  7. BWhaler macrumors 68020

Jan 8, 2003
    I'm guessing we will see 10.5 about in Q2 of 2007. Here's why:

1. Apple has said they will be slowing down OSX releases.

2. By waiting and not previewing the next release, Microsoft cannot copy and co-opt the next generation of features. They can only copy 10.4

3. With that said, Apple can see what Longhorn has to offer and make sure 10.5 does not fall short. (Hey, it could happen.)

4. Factoring in #2 and #3, Apple has the chance to embarrass Microsoft with a better release at the time of Longhorn--very possible if the latest rumors about an 07 release date is correct.

5. The timing makes sense. Tiger is still in serious debugging mode, and will be for a good 3-6 months. Apple can then get serious about 10.5. A year of development would make it about June to show a developer preview at WWDC and get the new SDK's in the hands of developers. (Also, at that point, Longhorn should have a feature freeze so they cannot copy.)

So then another 8 months to finish development and release. If Longhorn is on time--which Apple must assume--they will not want to compete for news cycles with Windows. (Of course, Jobs is a bold man, so I may be wrong.)

But in general, I think Apple will want to take the OS to the next level, and put a good 12 - 18 months into it for no other reason than to completely leap frog Longhorn since Longhorn is a pretty solid knock-off of OSX in its current state. (Not as good, obviously.)
  8. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Mar 5, 2005
    I don't think that at this stage Apple really care what MS is doing.
    They are way ahead of the curve, and know it.
  9. iHateWindows macrumors 6502

May 11, 2005
    They're still way far behind OS 6. :)
  10. link92 macrumors 6502

Aug 15, 2004