Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 7, 2006
Over the last few years i have seen Apple stock prices go up and up.

So before it goes up anymore with iTV, iPhone and more iPod / Mac sales i would like to buy one or 2 shares.

I am in UK and never even looked into stock / shares, hope someone can help?

Where, and How do i do it?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Buying one or two shares is almost never economical. Once you account for the commissions you have to pay while buying and selling, the stock has to perform phenomenally well in order for you to even break even. If you can't invest somewhere in the neighborhood of $1000/£500 in a stock, it's probably not worth it.

xcalibur

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2003
Kuala Lumpur
You need to sign up for an invesment account that allows you to trade US shares. Your bank should have a brokerage arm that does it but traditionally online sites will offer you lower rates. For example, I use HSBC and pay $29.95 a trade. I'm sure the site mentioned above will charge less. Buying the shares once you have an account is easy. The troublesome part is the beginning where you have to fill up some complicated forms :(

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
WildCowboy said:
Buying one or two shares is almost never economical. Once you account for the commissions you have to pay while buying and selling, the stock has to perform phenomenally well in order for you to even break even. If you can't invest somewhere in the neighborhood of $1000/£500 in a stock, it's probably not worth it.

Just knowing that you own a couple of shares of Apple stock though is worth it to me. Not financially as you point out, but I would get great pride from owning a small slice of the pie. :D :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.