Where America's Racist Tweets Come From

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Nov 9, 2012.

1. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The tweets are too racist to print here.

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/11/where-americas-racist-tweets-come-from/265006/

2. macrumors 65816

Thankfully, there were only two of them posted by Facebook "friends" as statuses. But man, they were doozies. I thought about creating a thread like "post the worst status messages on your Facebook wall regarding Obama's win". But I thought it could get kind of nasty, so I didn't.

3. AhmedFaisal, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013

<snip>

4. macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

I'm just going to take a brief moment and be smug that South Carolina was not at the top of the list.

(Which is probably because the racists don't have the internet around here)

5. macrumors 68000

vastoholic

And the white people mourning for romney wasn't racist? While I still thought the pictures were funny the premise was in poor taste in my opinion.

6. macrumors 68020

sviato

@TheFunnyRacist had a bunch too, but most were an attempt of humor and not actual hate.

7. macrumors regular

Interesting that DC had a score of 1.5 in that survey yet 91.4% of people voted for Obama...

8. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Honestly, I think Twitter is vastly over-rated as a measure of public opinion. We just had an election. That is the ultimate test.

I'm much more annoyed by this:

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-romney-election-campaign-donors-20121114,0,5622330.story

The willful ignorance of Romney and his supporters that is reflected in these remarks is very discouraging. Romney's concession speech on Tuesday was the best speech of his life. I guess he thought better of it.

9. macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Dey come from dixie....

10. macrumors 6502a

bowens

Is it racist if a black Facebook friend of mine writes "MY President is BLACK and I love it!!!?" I saw a few of those right after the election.

What would there reaction have been had Romney won and I posted "My president is White and I love it?"

11. macrumors 6502

lannister80

This is the exact same reason we don't have a White Entertainment Channel or White Pride parades (well, non-KKK type parades).

Racist for whites, not racist for blacks. And as a white guy, I'm OK WITH THAT, considering every channel besides BET is essentially the White Entertainment Channel.

12. macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

No it wouldn't be racist but there would be racist undertones because if the president had been white would have have loved it any less and why?

I'm not willing to call someone or something racist based on undertones but you know where there's smoke...

13. macrumors 68000

NickZac

14. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

For Christ's sake, he's beige, half of each disputed colour.

If this isn't compromise, then I am at a loss at the meaning of the term.

15. macrumors 68000

VulchR

I spent some time in the North having grown up in Virginia. I took all sort of crap about racism in the South, yet nobody seemed to remember the Boston busing riots, the Newark riots, discrimination in housing purchases in NY state etc. etc. etc. So while racism might be the most visible in the South, it is hardly confined to the South. Regrettably, I have never been to a place int he US where there was some sort of racial tension. All I can say is at least the US is trying to stamp out this kind of thing, and there are good people even in the South trying to eliminate racism.