Where are apps on an iPad backed up to? iCloud?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kat.hayes, Apr 26, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

Oct 10, 2011
    Where are apps on iPad backed up to? Where do you go to enable this feature?
  2. macrumors 68000

Jan 18, 2005
    Apps downloaded from the appstore can be re-downloaded at any time (assuming they're still available). They're also backed up to your iTunes library when you sync with your computer.
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 10, 2011
    So far, I have not synched with a computer.

1. If I switched iPads for whatever reason, is there an easy way to restore all the apps from the app store, or would I need to -re-download each individual one?

2. I spent a lot of time customizing how I want to group apps together on my screens by dragging them on top of each other. Is there a way to back that up in case I ever need to restore an iPad?

4. macrumors G4

Night Spring

Jul 17, 2008
    Just backup to iCloud. If you ever switch iPads, just enter your iCloud account ID and password during setup, and it will automatically redownload all your apps (provided they are still avaiable in the app store) and put them in the groups and orders you had them in the last time you backed up. If you have lots of apps, it might take a while to download them all, though. So if you can sync with a computer, the restore will go faster.
  5. macrumors 68040

Jun 27, 2010
    Plano, TX
    As everyone has said, iCloud is the best option.

I just exchanged my iPad on Tuesday. Right before I went I backed up to iCloud. When I got my new iPad home
    I went through the initial set up. Twenty minutes later it looked just like my previous iPad. All of the apps were in their folders. I didn't even have to re-enter usernames and passwords for apps that needed it.

I have restored my phone from iTunes in the past. It reinstalled all of my apps, but it didn't put them in any folders.