Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was just wondering where icons for external drives were stored? Like Firewire drives, USB drives etc.

For example:
IconSet1.png

I just want it to put on my main folder, and maybe change it in Photoshop. Specifically, I want to see if there's a Thunderbolt one, but have yet to see that 'in the wild' :p

I've tried /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/, but it just seems to have a plain orange, plain white drives.

Also tried the /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources but it doesn't seem to be there either. Many thanks!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Find the finder.app (I forgot where it is). It's in the finder.app resources folder.

The Finder.app is in the System/Library/Resources Folder, but on my System(Leopard) they are not there.

As for the TimeMachine Icon it is in the Folder the OP mentioned, but it's called generic....icns

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
The Finder.app is in the System/Library/Resources Folder, but on my System(Leopard) they are not there.

As for the TimeMachine Icon it is in the Folder the OP mentioned, but it's called generic....icns

Oh your right... I've seen them before. I'll have to keep searching.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Anyone else know?

----------

Never mind, found them. They are: /System/Library/Extensions/IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily.kext/Contents/Resources

Nice high quality icons for SD cards, FW, USB, floppy disk (gasp! :eek:), memory stick, fibre channel etc.

No Thunderbolt icon though... interesting :p

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
Never mind, found them. They are: /System/Library/Extensions/IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily.kext/Contents/Resources

Nice high quality icons for SD cards, FW, USB, floppy disk (gasp! :eek:), memory stick, fibre channel etc.

Thank you very much! I tried poking around myself, but I *never* would have found them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.