Where are my beloved favorites???

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Tequila Grandma, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Tequila Grandma macrumors regular

They're only accessible through a finder window, that's where. I have no idea why, but the "favorites" option under the "Go" menu in the Finder has disappeared in Panther. This was, to me, an incredibly useful feature. One of the disappointing things about OSX is that you could not put things under the Apple menu for quick, easy access. The Favories menu under the Go menu was an absolutely perfect replacement for this. I had everything organized so perfectly: applications I know I use every single day I put in the dock, along with applications that I think just look better there (I put the DVD Player in the dock just because I think it looks nice on the left of the dock, rather than the right), and then pretty much all other applications I would make aliases to in Favorites. This way, if I needed to launch up another application, I could do it very quickly, without opening up a new Finder window to find it. This ability is now gone.

The main problem I have is that it seems to have disappeared for no good reason whatsoever. Why, oh why, is it gone? :(

Aside from this, and the fact that it'd goddamn brushed metal, I'm loving the new Finder. It's incredibly functional, but it takes away my #1 most used Finder feature in Panther.

2. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Your Favorite folders now go in the Finder sidebar. A much better solution, IMO :)

3. Tequila Grandma thread starter macrumors regular

I fail to see how this is a much better solution. This means I must open a finder window in order to access my favorites. It was most convenient to have the favorites right there under the "Go" menu.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Why can't you just click on the favourite in the sidebar?

Actually, I've found it more convenient because I can drag and drop to anything in the sidebar from the main window.

I was noticing the Recent Folders in the Go menu. If they're using a folder to hold aliases, you could go to that folder, create aliases and then make them read-only, so that they couldn't be deleted. Then, you'd have the ones you wanted available from the Go menu.