Where are my piles !

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by trip, Jun 28, 2004.

1. trip macrumors newbie

Mar 18, 2004
    :( :mad: :eek: Eww name, but how else I can I explain the feature.

When I heard of it it sounded like a magic feature for file finding.

Will no one make it as a feature ?
  2. jane doe macrumors 6502

Feb 18, 2004
  3. Squareball macrumors regular

Mar 16, 2004
    Palo Alto, CA
    Props on your signature! I dream that one day we'll get the Fair Tax plan!
  4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Probably Apple's idea of a practical joke to see how closely MicroSoft was listening to the rumor mill.

Basically to see if they'd spin their wheels on developing a OS concept for Longhorn that Apple had rejected.
  5. trip thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 18, 2004
    ba it is still a good idea unlike the junk from today
  6. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2003
    New Jersey USA
    I wish piles or some faction there of would make it in. With Core Video an QE I think it would have een very helpful. But maybe the nbew meta search tool will make folders and files stacked all over common and organzation will be via search rather than file location.
  7. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    I'll bet Apple did develop piles internally, but for whatever reason decided that they weren't worthwhile enough to the end user to actually put into a product. (Or, who knows, they'll show up in a later 10.4 build--it's still nearly a year from release.)

It does seem like the whole search (read: half-assed metadata plus content indexing)-based system is a very good idea, and sort of makes piles a moot point anyway. I know a lot of people already who just heap junk into huge folders, or don't bother keeping track of where they sorted anything, and just use the find feature (both on Windows and the MacOS) to find what they want.

Changing the whole internal metaphor of the computer from a filing cabnet and your desk (in which case, piles make sense--"Which heap did I put that document in?) to something more suited to the power of a computer:

Google for your desktop, giving you "What documents do I have about 'fuel cells'?" rather than "Where did I put that paper I wrote two years ago?"

Just makes more sense that way.