Where are the 2.7GHz Quad G5's?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bastich, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Bastich macrumors regular

This is longest the G5 has gone without a speed bump since the drought after its introduction. You'd think there would have beed a silent update by now. What happened to all the 2.7GHz chips from a year ago?

:cool:

2. dynetk macrumors newbie

I doubt we'll see anything new based on a G5. Everything will eventually be Intel based.

3. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

2.7 were singe-core chips. PowerMacs now use dual-core. Dual core G5 can now only go as high as 2.5 GHz, or maybe Apple will soon update PMs with those 2.7?

4. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

gah why do ppl still make these threads about equipment apple is ending production of. there are not any quad 2.7s b/c IBM hasnt figured out how to pull that off. futhermore, apple is no longer pressing IBM to produce more powerpc chips so there you have it.

5. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Since Intel won't be releasing their next generation of processors until August or September, I doubt we'll see any Intel 'Mac Pro' introduction before then. (Anyone else find it odd that WWDC has been delayed until August? Could it be that will be the intro of the Intel based 'Mac Pro'?)

But, going more than a full year with no high end desktop update also seems unlikely. We'll probably see a dual-core 3.0 GHz G5 intro in the next month or so. (Most likely a quiet spec update, no major announcement.) Now that IBM has been shipping those triple-core 3.2 GHz chips for Microsoft for a while, they have probably worked out any kinks and can probably produce 3.0 GHz-capable G5s by now.

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

No, I highly doubt it. Maybe 2.7, but definately not 3.0

7. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

How funny it would be if Steve gives us the 3GHz G5 he promised us so long ago… And then kills it off a few months later.

8. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

The irony runs deep.

2.5 GHz is it boys, take it or leave it.

9. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

I'm all for Apple releasing another G5 Power Mac regardless of how likely that would be. Keep in mind that I doubt we will see a SHIPPING intel based Pro desktop until September. That is quite a wait indeed and even then Adobe and several others still won't have Universal binary versions of their apps ready yet.

I don't think Intel has anything in 06 that could be clear and away faster than the current G5s especially if the 970MP could get pushed to 2.7Ghz. When taking into account the Speed penalty of not having UB apps on intel and the fact that even with UB apps the first Intel pro macs may not be much faster than a 970MP G5.

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

the 970MP is already at 3GHz, has been for a long time apple is just not biteing.

11. galstaph macrumors 6502a

galstaph

Maybe they'll release a triple triple!!!!1!!:D
    I think they're just waiting on the intel, why place resources toward a speed bump of old architecture (in a manner of speaking), when all developers are working on getting the intel to work (without initial kinks maybe);)

12. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Because Pros have to use apps that are not uni yet. They make money on their machines and do not have time to wait 6+months

13. mchendricks macrumors member

How many resources does it take to upgrade the processor? They already have everything eslse in place. As long as some software companies (Adobe) don't have UB applications, then people will want the fastest G5 machine they can get. How much can it hurt Apple to give the faithful what they want? Software developers don't have to rewrite programs for the new G5 chips, just leave them as they are.

14. Play Ultimate macrumors 6502

As wise as it may be to release an updated Quad, I don't see it happening.
    Apple's focus is squarely on the transition to Intel. Releasing a updated G5 is not on that map. Pros will either need to stick with what they have currently or get the new 17" Macbook Pro.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Those chips aren't G5s. Totally different ball park. There probably won't be any more G5s. They're moving to the new Intel chips in August.

16. emaja macrumors 68000

Are pros really going to shell out $3000 for the .2GHz from 2.5 to 2.7?

I sincerely doubt it.

PPC is dead. The next version of the remaining PPC powered Mac will be Intel.

17. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

the differnece between 2.5 and 2.7 is not 3000$

Apple usually keeps the price the same after speed bumps, so if you can get a slightly faster machine for the same price, why not?

18. emaja macrumors 68000

No kidding, but you can't just buy the processors. You have to buy the whole computer, which currently costs $3299. If Apple were to give them a bump to 2.7GHZ, then those who had the 2.5GHz quads and wanted that whopping .2GHz bump would have to pony up for the full $3299.

Not worth it.

19. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Who the hell on Earth would by a $3000+ computer, just to gain .2 GHz of processing power???

Even if it was 3 GHz, would ppl sell their current Quads for it? I mean that ppl that DO NOT have the current Quad and are on the market for a new Mac desktop would love the speed bump!

20. emaja macrumors 68000

That' s what I am saying.

Is there that much of a difference that someone who wants the quad would really say, "Man, I really want it, but can't justify it unless it is 2.7GHz. That 2.5GHz just won't cut it."

If you don't have a quad, then going from the duals to the quad is enough of a speed bump.

21. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Maybe you're right. But Apple (and other computer companies) has always made speedbumps, this is a necessary part of computer progress. Quad has been going without updates for too long, there has to be one.

22. emaja macrumors 68000

I understand that it has been a while, but with Apple in the middle of the Intel transition, they are not going to "go back" and introduce any new PPC-based Macs. It just isn't going to happen.

The quad replacement will be likely be a Woodcrest with dual quad cores.

That would be worth the upgrade.

23. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

A G5 bump may never happen again in my humble opinion. Maybe sometime during NAB, Apple will shock us all with a new MacPro? (Doubt it, but come on people)

It could be 4-5 months until a Mac Pro comes out, which is a WHILE from now. Who knows how long Apple can hold on to this dare-I-say-current PowerMac lineup...

24. Bastich thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, half the Macs I've ever bought ran at less than .2 GHz. This time I'll be moving up from a G4, so you can see I choose my systems carefully to save money, and last a long time.

As for PPC production, who's to say IBM doesn't have a bin full of dual core 2.7's rotting someplace, waiting for a buyer? Apple has been known to leave suppliers holding the bag, then demand a better deal later on.

:cool:

25. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I've got my Quad 3Ghz, but it's not a G5 ;) shhhhh...