Where are the all external x4 DVD writers?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by CrackedButter, Sep 17, 2003.

1. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I've been looking around for a while now when i've had the time and it seems there are none but there are x4 desktop versions. Where are the x4 external? Anybody have any info about DVD writers in general, care to share a link. Im interested in buying one when or if they come out.

Even a x6 as well.

Oh, i don't care for x2, its to slow.

2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

I can't find that many internal 6x writers. IBM seems to be the provider and I would guess that Creative's version is badged.

It might be a question of bandwidth and use. You might be best off getting an internal and slamming it in a FW2 or USB2 box. USB2 might not have the sustainability, and FW2 isn't really a widely used standard. Are you willing to pay for a FW2 box? You could get it to work, but a properly rendered standard DVD burn might take longer than the stated optimal burn due to data lag.

Any Firewire DVD burner would be fine in my book, but I'm on a budget and my needs are small.

3. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Tricky one that is, no i'm prepared to wait for the next generation of drives WHEN they come out.

FW800 however, i thought was coming around now, you can buy upgrade cards for PC and Mac now anyway and its been like 10 months. I'm sure 3rd parties would jump at the chance to make products for FW800 just like Lacie with its FW800 drives.

4. acj macrumors 6502

Plextor

Plextor has an 8X external Dual format drive. It's only 4X for DVD-R, but 8X for DVD+R. Mac and PC. Firewire and USB 2.0

Internal is available too, but currently PC only.

5. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

You provide the answer but no link! Are you some sort of sicko??? :):eek: ;) :D

I'm only joking, i'm at plextors site.
    Thankyou.