Where are the icons?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Benjamindaines, Mar 24, 2006.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Where does OS X store its icons? I'm looking for the CD, Hard Drive, and "Blank page" icons.

--Thanks

2. tombarnes macrumors 6502

tombarnes

As far as I know, the icons are stored with the file/folder/drive. For example, I have a custom icon for my ipod, and when I plug it into my mates computer it appears with the custom icon, therefore, it must be stored with the ipod.

To get an icon from a file or drive etc., command click on it, then select 'get info' click on the top icon on the 'get info' window, you can then copy and paste the icon to wherever you want it (another file or to a photoshop page etc.).

Hope this helps

3. cyberddot macrumors 6502

cyberddot

Individual directory, app or file icons are where you see them ;) and changeable as mentioned by Tom above. If you want to get to system icons (the generic folder, drive, disc, etc that are generated each time you connect or create a new one, and you want to change them, do a forum search for Candybar. It's shareware, but depending on what you want to do, it might be worth the price of a few coffee drinks ;)

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Most of the standard/default icons are in /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle.

The Audio CD (CDAudioVolumeIcon.icns) and blank document (GenericDocumentIcon.icns) are in here.

The generic hard drive icon is not here.

Totally blank, CD-R and CD-RW icons are in /System/Library/Extensions/IOCDStorageFamily.kext.

The internal, external and removable drive icons (generic hard drive icons) are in /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext.

I hope that helps.