Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tombarnes

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2006
Surrey, United Kingdom
As far as I know, the icons are stored with the file/folder/drive. For example, I have a custom icon for my ipod, and when I plug it into my mates computer it appears with the custom icon, therefore, it must be stored with the ipod.

To get an icon from a file or drive etc., command click on it, then select 'get info' click on the top icon on the 'get info' window, you can then copy and paste the icon to wherever you want it (another file or to a photoshop page etc.).

Hope this helps

cyberddot

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2003
in a forest
Individual directory, app or file icons are where you see them ;) and changeable as mentioned by Tom above. If you want to get to system icons (the generic folder, drive, disc, etc that are generated each time you connect or create a new one, and you want to change them, do a forum search for Candybar. It's shareware, but depending on what you want to do, it might be worth the price of a few coffee drinks ;)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Most of the standard/default icons are in /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle.

The Audio CD (CDAudioVolumeIcon.icns) and blank document (GenericDocumentIcon.icns) are in here.

The generic hard drive icon is not here.

Totally blank, CD-R and CD-RW icons are in /System/Library/Extensions/IOCDStorageFamily.kext.

The internal, external and removable drive icons (generic hard drive icons) are in /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext.

I hope that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.