Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gagaliya

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2010
The tech sites and macrumor fanatics have really been slacking off, the day is almost over and noone picked up a new mbp from apple store and took it apart yet? We need answers!!!

1) What kind of ssd is it using
2) Does graphic auto switch work good?
3) Are there any performance difference between 256 vs 512mb graphic card
4) Can any 2.5" ssd still be installed

and just general reviews.

PAC88

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2009
engadget will have a review up soon.. they have a 15" model with i7 and I hope it's high res..

in auto mode- they say that the graphics will switch on an app by app basis depending on the resources that are generally required for the application you are running.. yea I wonder how this works when you have multiple things open, I guess it will just stay on dedicated gpu mode

theorchidchild

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2010
Gizmodo had a brief synopsis of their testing that was posted on Macrumors front page.

But in all honestly if you want a good review that really puts the laptop through a variety of tests, you have to wait at least until this weekend.

Aside from the graphics switching performance, though, what else needs to be reviewed? Nothing else is all that novel.

gagaliya

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 24, 2010
ok i really just want to know what kind of ssd the new mbp is using. Without knowing this i cant order mine :/

it's ridiculus why apple are being so secretive about those things, maybe i should just take a screwdriver and goto an apple store to find out...*can just imagine the blue idiots bumrushing me*

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
I want a 13" old vs new review.

Same here, because I just saw Apple put refurbs of prior gen 13" in their refurb store for 999.....not a bad deal...especially for someone who doesn't need the greatest and latest like myself!

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
ok i really just want to know what kind of ssd the new mbp is using. Without knowing this i cant order mine :/

it's ridiculus why apple are being so secretive about those things, maybe i should just take a screwdriver and goto an apple store to find out...*can just imagine the blue idiots bumrushing me*

You don't need to go into the store with a screwdriver, you go into the store knowing that the System Profiler is a much easier way of finding out. But most likely the floor models will not have SSDs inside, albeit the better way to show how fast those machines are.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
The tech sites and macrumor fanatics have really been slacking off, the day is almost over and noone picked up a new mbp from apple store and took it apart yet? We need answers!!!

and just general reviews.

There is not much to review. See reviews for old models. Add 10% for performance, 5% for battery life and 10% for price. That's about it.

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
I want a 13" old vs new review.

Me too.

Although, I think the changes are marginal so I'm not really fussed. I got a brilliant deal on the June 09 BTS offer. uMBP, 16gb iPod nano and applecare, all for under £900:cool:, also not forgetting the reduced 15% vat we had last year in the UK:D

drummerlondonw3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
London
it will be interesting to see what the actual gains in the 13" will be.

i'm very interested to see if it will actually be an improvement

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007

3. Slight, but depends what you are doing. You can Google the performance difference if you are interested - high resolution textures etc benefit from more VRAM.

I'm looking to get mine this weekend (15" 2.66Ghz i7 high res antiglare), so will do a big in-depth review, photos etc.

Tex-Twil

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2008
Berlin
There is not much to review. See reviews for old models. Add 10% for performance, 5% for battery life and 10% for price. That's about it.
where did you find out the 10% ? From your magical hat ?

What about the screen ? trackpad ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.