Where are the PowerMac 667's?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by MacMaster, Aug 5, 2002.

1. MacMaster macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2002
    I've been thinking. I've been in the market for a new(er) powermac for a while now and have been watching ebay, etc. There's just one thing I've noticed...Where are the PowerMac G4 667's at? Does anyone actually own one? Were they recalled without my knowlage? NOBODY has them for sale! Please explain this to me!
    I know that they were actually made because they are on everymac.com!
  2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    I know someone with a 667 PowerMac...not sure why there aren't any for sale...

maybe it's just a freak occurence?? :eek:
  3. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Same here

I remember going to MWSF when they were released, but after the next revision, I wasn't sure they ever WERE released because NOBODY had one!
  4. MMBosstonesDA macrumors newbie

Aug 5, 2002

If I remember correctly when the had the 667 it came out with 4 or 5 other models, the high end being 733 with a superdrive. The superdrive was built to order option so you could just replace it with a CD burner and get the biggest chip on the mac ever built.

Why not just spend the extra couple hundred bucks and get the high end model. My grandfather has a 733 and that's what he was saying to me and it makes sense. I don't think I would've bought one for that reason

Right now the low end model for the powerbook G4 is 667, so it's not completely lost at Apple either.

5. Beej macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2002
    Buffy's bedroom
    There are none around because they were not sold for very long, only two or three months if memory serves, and they weren't very popular at all. They came out when there was 466 533, 667 and 733. The 667 and the 733s had improved architecture over the other two so they obviously cost more. I think what basically happened was people decided if they were going to spend more to get the best Mac around, they may as well spend a few bucks extra and get the 733.

So, basically, there aren't many 667s because they were extremely unpopular.
  6. MacMaster thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2002
    o i c!
  7. barkmonster macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2001
    There was also the issue of the the new cache scheme and longer pipeline making the dual 533 a more attractive option because it was based on the older PPC7410 series of G4s.

Barefeats did a test of the 667Mhz G4 vs a dual 533 and a single 733. It faired well against the dual model in single cpu tests, any dual aware tests blew it out of the water and with the introduction of the cheaper version of the 733, I can't imagine apple would have sold many 667Mhz G4s due to the model below being faster at a lot of things and the 733Mhz being only a few hundred more.

I see you're point, If I could afford to upgrade my current mac (a beige G3) I'd probably think twice if I saw an add for one of the 667Mhz Digital Audio G4s and it was only a few hundred more than a zif upgrade. I'd be worth it for all the extras alone.