Where are the rumors???

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jsnuff1, Feb 10, 2004.

1. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

Am i the only one that has noticed there have been almost zero rumors regarding any apple hardware updates. What is going on with the powermac g5's, where are the new displays? Looks like to me that all rumors sources have dried up....macrumors has been posting nothing but boreing news items for the past week...what the hell is goin on???

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I dunno, but Apple need to get their butts in gear and release a speed bumped PM G5, and launch a G5 iMac ASAP!!!

A PB G5 wouldn't hurt either ;)

3. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

Because people were using dates that has some significance as a release date, like 20th anniversary, the super bowl, etc. Now that those dates have passed, they have come to grips with reality and they now know that Apple will release them when they are ready too. So, if you want an answer, just read any rumor thread and the answers will be the same, Tuesday.

4. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Yep, the answer to any rumor is always going to be "next Tuesday." Eventually it'll finally come to pass... it's kinda like that broken clock that is always right twice a day. :)

5. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

no rumors!!!!
    nah..i read just some days ago..a guy's friend sneaked out the next version of os x on his laptop..
    what else do u need...

6. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I agree, very little rumor-mongering :D
    And people are still posting to a rumor about something on Jan 20, hopefully 2004 not 2003 :D

So how about Apple is looking at using Sun Sparc processors in up coming consumer lines. They are moving away from the PowerPC because it looks like Microsoft is going to use it in their next XBox.;)

oh oh oh and Microsoft announced another critical flaw in Windows :eek:
    oh ... sorry, thats like the "new PowerBooks next Tuesday" rumor, it happens every week.

7. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

Re: Where are the rumors???

i heard that new g5's will be released in two weeks with quad 3.2 gHz processors... and the new displays are 60in" viewable and cost only $500.

8. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

I heard they were going to be dual-core, have DDR3 memory, BT 2.0, optical FW ports, 10-gigabit Ethernet with TCP offload, ADC, DVI and VGA ports, no fans and titanium and magnesium case.

9. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

It does really seem like almost the entire lineup could use a boost, except maybe the iBooks.

10. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Re: Re: Where are the rumors???

Yes - I know ! And I am so excited !!! ;) :D

11. Engagebot macrumors regular

the powerbooks are in much more of a need for G5.

iBook G4
    iMac G4

PowerMac G5
    PowerBook G5

thats the way the set up their product line, and now they have to do something to justify those price jumps between the i- and power- lines.

12. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I guess Apple has been unpredicatble lately. All the likely dates have come and gone and still no hardware. People are not starting to believe the rumours because they don't ever seem to come to fruitition, so the rumour sites have laid off the rumours to protect their reputations for a while... Either that or Apple's become very good at preventing leaks recently.

13. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

The iMac and PM both had G4 processors at the same time. How did they justify it then?

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: Re: Where are the rumors???

Welcome back Jack... [​IMG]

15. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

There's no need to intentionally cripple the iMac just because they can't get a G5 in the PowerBook. iMacs and PowerBooks are different markets. One is portable, the other isn't.

16. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

The iMac is not in need of a G5 processor. It's in need of lower prices first. If that can be obtained in a G5, so be it, but otherwise, at this time it just isn't needing one. They need to sell macs, not just make them better. The powerbook will have a G5 before the iMac and that is just a given, it's a pro machine. If you've been watching apple for a long time, you know this.

17. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I think simply making the iMac have a user-accessible/swappable graphics card and PCI slot would make a big impact. It would mean some upgradeability for those who want it, but without having to make it unncessarily complicated. They are cool computers, a bit ahead of their time in fact. A bit more power would be good too.

18. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

No, IMO it is in desperate need of both, and quick! It needs more power to even have a chance of competing against what Intel/AMD have to offer in the price range, and needs a lower price for exactly the same reason.

See what I mean...

20" iMac
    1.25GHz G4 (Old!)
    256MB DDR2700 (Old!)
    80GB ATA (Old!)(Not sure what speed, 100/133 I guess)
    SuperDrive (4x I believe?)
    2 x FireWire 400 (Old!)
    3 x USB 2.0
    3 x IEEE 1394 (not sure what speed that is?)
    GeForce FX 64MB (LMFAO!!!)
    Mac OS X 10.3 (Nice! :D)
    £1749 :eek: :eek:

Now, dare I say it, from Dell (just as an example)

Dimension 8300
    3.0GHz P4 800MHz FSB w/ HyperThreading
    512MB Dual-Channel DDR3200
    250GB SATA150
    256MB ATI Radeon 9800XT (p0wns everything!)
    17" UltraSharp Digital LCD (Not as good as the 20" of the iMac, but not bad at all, and can be re-used when upgrade time comes around)
    8 x DVD-R Drive
    8 x USB 2.0
    4 x PCI Slots
    AGP 8x Slot
    Intergrated 5.1 Audio
    Windows XP Professional (NOT Home ;))
    3yr On-site next business day serivice and support
    ...and various other bits and bobs...
    £1791 (inc. FREE delivery!)

Ok, so the Dell cannot run OS X, but Win XP Pro is very stable these days. I dare you to tell me you'd still pay £1.7k+ for that iMac now? If you do, IMO you need your head examined, it's just not a good investment/buy.

<prepares for flaming> :rolleyes:

19. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Isn't IEEE1394 that just FireWire 400?

But yes, the iMac does need a speed boost. They are novel computers, but more people will buy them if they are cheaper and more powerful. The flat panel iMac appears to be a geared towards a different market to the cheap-as-chips old CRT iMac for the masses...

20. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  21. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

It's not really fair to compare an AIO machine to a desktop, IMO. Different markets, different users, etc.

But, I'm in full agreement that the iMac line needs a healthy update. :)

22. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

The G4 just isn't cutting it anymore. It's an old processor, one that in terms of clock rate have progressed very slowly. The PB is using the more advanced G4 then the iMac. Compared to over a year ago, the PM had a faster processor then the iMac does today.

Even the 1.6 GHz G5 would be a welcome addition to the iMac. The 90-nm 970 is just what the iMac needs. If they still have problems putting a G5 in a PB, then so be it. But sacrificing sales because of what they did in the past where the professional line has to be better then the consumer line is just a bad business decision. The iMac has not seen a replacement in how long? Compare that to the PB. 25-months ago the flat panel iMac was announced and came in at 700MHz. Compare that to today with a max speed of 1.25GHz. Up until October/November of last year, the original video chipset had been used in some fashion.

You mention selling Macs. They need to replace, not update the iMac and that will spur sales. If you mention that if someone wants a G5 processor, they should buy a PM then look at the cost breakdown. Compare the 1.6GHz single to the iMac.

23. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Yup, it has gotten this bad. There aren't any good rumors going because there isn't anything to talk about. Apple, sadly, has nothing. It seems they are only focused on the iPod and iTMS and has forgotten about the low-level users.

24. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i do wish we'd get some iMac rumors, even page 2, i have 2 grand burning a hole in my pocket and want to buy, but i'm just stupid enough to want to wait until the next upgrade, hoping it'll be G5... i doubt it will tho. Apple needs to get a better speed iMac, then worry about pricing... the two issues are complimentary, it either needs to be cheaper at a low speed or faster at a higher cost, or both :D anyway, apple, give me something quick, before i blow this $$ on new furniture!

paul

25. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Unfortunately there was a 2 1/2 year gap between the PowerMac and iMac going G4. However, part of that was the G3 keeping pace with the G4. With the G4/G5, that aint going to happen. Let's hope eh? Puts it into perspective though.. image G5 iMacs in January 2006..