Where are the the Apple commercials that make people buy a Mac???

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by vollspacken, Aug 30, 2003.

1. vollspacken macrumors 65816

vollspacken

after surfing the redesigned pages over at http://www.cupertino.de, I realized that there is one piece that is missing with Apple...

it's not a particular piece of hardware like a cellphone/pda or more software from 3rd party developers... it's simply good commercials that show people how easy and time saving the mac experience is.

this especially came to my mind when I saw the ads for the original iMac and the Jeff Goldblum ads. ther we saw a perfect integration of "switcher"-type ads where Goldblum showed the user side of the product and "hardware-oriented"-type ads where the product itself (producer side) and it's beauty is shown. we also saw a third category, in which both types are mixed...

I seriously think that Apple needs to do something like these campaigns to bring more people to the mac...

vSpacken

2. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

that was a great review of apple advertising. it's so... competitive. they all act like they have something to gain.

compare that with the G5 and 12/17" Powerbook commercials. apple doesn't talk about simplicity. they smugly say, "the world's fastest, most powerful personal computer!" Great. that means what to me? why did i buy my Apple when they didn't have the world's fastest? these commercials aren't targeted at getting PC users, they are targeted at getting current mac users excited. that's a great thing, but not a good way to increase market share.

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I think a nice commercial would be some clips of the interface-let the PC users drool- and then some extreme macros of the case, ending in a zoom out from someone using it in an office, without any speech. After the zoom out to the busy office with the guy using a mac, then a quick fadeout, and then a display of the apple logo with "apple.com" under it. It would be simple, calm and let people get a good impression of the mac.:)

4. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Hmmmmm.....what is the best word that I can use to sum up my feeling about your post? I got it:

Ditto.

God Apple! Show me OS X for God's sake already! Show me iMovie! Show me the iTMS! Show me something that would make people want to switch. You are doing this all wrong IMO. Commercials aren't artistic expression tools (although they can be). Their primary purpose is to get a message across. The only message that comes through sometimes is the web address.

Try harder. :(

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

There have been many posts about this subject, and I think there should be aswell!
    Many advocate a "practical" approach: Show the world that a Mac can burn DVD's, listen to MP3's, run Office, play UT 2003, have high speed internet access...... and so on. Get that Apple-ignorance out of the average Joe's system.
    But then again, maybe Apple wants to stay niche. Forget the average Joe, for he's not the target, Go for looks, style, coolness.... ya know.

I love this discussion....

6. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

The best way to sell somebody a Mac is to let them use one. You can't market that though. Personally I like the Jeff Goldblum ads. They summed up all the good things about using a Mac.

7. vollspacken thread starter macrumors 65816

vollspacken

yeah, I forgot to mention that those commercials were the main reason that caused me to buy an iMac DV400 when they came out... the product was presented very well in the commercials and Jeff Goldbum was the perfect choice to do the job: the commercial showed me that all I needed was the integrated computing solution that the CRT iMac was at that point (well, true! I never regretted that move...)

...if it wasn't for him I would probably have waited one more year to upgrade from the beige G3 266.

vSpacken (who wishes he hadn't sold his iMac... :( )

8. dricci macrumors 6502a

Apple needs to do more commercials like the iDVD one with the couple on the beach making a DVD as easy as point and click and sending it home to mom and dad, then with a little comedy in the end. I think that style is the most effective. You don't want to start spewing out numbers and prices and catch phrases, you want to smoothly get something across to spark someone's interests and to get them to want to log on to the web or go into an apple store to learn more.

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

That is one of my favorite commercials too. I feel that those and the "rip.mix.burn" commercials were some of the best. But there is only so many times you can show someone making a DVD or using iTunes before it becomes old hat. Right now Apple is in a "less is more" style commerical cycle and maybe when panther comes out and the G5 has a more solid foot hold they will have a new round of "this is what you can do on a Mac" commericals.

Lethal