Where are you purchasing your memory for Intel Imac

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sarcoptic, Jan 17, 2006.

1. sarcoptic macrumors newbie

I just bought a 20" intel iMac with the standard memory configuration figuring its cheaper to get it else where. Well low and behold it uses 200pin SO-DIMMS that are 667mhz. These seem to be extremely rare and I have only seen mention of them at crucial.com and the 1 gig dimm is out of stock. Anyone else having any luck finding 1 gig dimms?

2. robo74 macrumors 6502

OWC, once they get it in.

OWC Ram

I bet this is going to be a hot item for the next few weeks.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep it's the exact same memory that they are using in the macbookpro.

I was going to order 1Gb x1 stick from Apple; & 1Gb from crucial, but when I realised they had bumped up the price to €148+€10; shipping and were also out of stock I decided to pay Apples inflated price for 2Gb.. Works out about 55-60 Euro more expensive overall, but what the heck.. :D (Apple's price has come down from what it used to be though).

4. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

sorry to hijack this thread but is it just me or is the imac just a macbook? except not a laptop

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep pretty much.. Except with faster bigger HardDrives and faster processors.. Oh and a lot cheaper.. ;)

6. Sunrunner macrumors 6502a

Sunrunner

So is the Mini to a certain extent... Apple has been blending the hardware internals for years with their compact-designed computers (iMac, Mini, Laptops)

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

You guys in the US really get a good price. Same memory from crucial EU (for EuroZone) is €148 or €179 ($50 more :( )

8. cusqueno macrumors newbie

9. AvaCam macrumors newbie

OWC isn't showing the CAS latency of their modules, bummer.

Crucial's is 5 and so is DataMem's.

10. paul.lenhardt macrumors newbie

Outpost.com

Anyone else notice this?
    Outpost is advertising this, DDR2 1GB PC2-5300 (DDR2-667MHz) Single So-Dimm Mushkin #991504
    It is found at http://shop1.outpost.com/catreq/974 for $67. I disbelieved this price because everywhere else is selling it for double.

I called outpost to confirm that this ram was in fact a single 1GB DDR2 PC2-5300 200 pin SO-Dimm module and for the advertised price. They told me that was correct (the rep went further than just checking the website, he called sales and had them confirm it) and it is in stock. I order one to bring my iMac up to 2GB when I get it Thursday. I just hope everything is as it seems.

Also, according to a discussion thread at apple, this ram (mushkin #991504) seems to be correct for the iMac. http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=314184&tstart=0

I'll let you know how it goes once I receive it.

11. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

If you ordered only one then your memory will be 1.5gigs not 2.
    The stock Intel iMac comes with 512megs

12. sarcoptic thread starter macrumors newbie

At a price like that I ordered from Outpost too...hope it comes....also the manual for the intel imac even states it takes SODIMMS so folks I would take advantage of the outpost deal if you are looking for some more memory for your imac/macbook pro

13. paul.lenhardt macrumors newbie

*edit* browser issue, it submitted twice, see below... *edit*

14. paul.lenhardt macrumors newbie

I upgraded to a single stick of 1GB in a 20 inch iMac, also I upgraded the video card to the 256 meg version, if you must know. ;)

15. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

"SODIMM" is not the defining characteristic for compatibility. Like choosing tires for your car because they are "rubber"

SODIMM describes the physical package. (Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Module)
    DDR-2 667 MHz describes the general type and speed of the module

The chip organization and the SPD settings are not advertised. Those describe how the module responds logically to the computer -- that is where much of the compatibility issue lies. We do not know at this time how much trouble there may be with compatibility on these machines.

If you are buying SODIMMs from a vendor who does not explicitly state Mac compatibility, make sure you have the right to return it for a full refund if it does not work. I would avoid sellers who charge a 15% restocking fee and do not guarantee compatibility.

16. sarcoptic thread starter macrumors newbie

The memory at outpost.com:
    Capacity: 1GB DDR-2 SODIMM
    Speed: DDR2-667
    Timings: 5-5-5-15
    32Mx8 chip density
    6-Layer PCB
    200pin
    1.8V - 1.9V
    Unbuffered, Non-ECC

Currently thats only speed and timings of DDR2-667...

17. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

ahhh...gotcha!

18. ekenny macrumors regular

ekenny

just ordered one of the 1 GB modules from outpost for the Macbook. Nice price. Hope it works well.

19. mbonnett macrumors newbie

Crucial has 1GB SODIMM in stock

This is just a heads up. As of 2:00pm central time Crucial now has the 1GB SODIMM in stock.

Regards,

-Mike

20. lasuther macrumors 6502a

I think the Apple upgrade for single 1Gig stick is very reasonable at $100 ($90 edu). I plan on getting that BTO and buying another.

lasuther

21. paul.lenhardt macrumors newbie

Just to let everyone know (now that I have my iMac and the ram), the ram works perfectly in the iMac (therefore also the MacBook Pro since the use the same ram). I think outpost is currently the cheapest seller. Awesome deal, glad to have found it and I hope you guys take advantage of it (I hate to pitch for a company, but I don't think there is anywhere else that is selling this type of ram for nearly as cheap, and it is in stock).
    :)

22. Epicurus macrumors 6502

Epicurus

Awesome! That's very nice to hear. I'll see how my iMac handles at 512MB for a while at first, but if there's RAM out there for this cheap, I might be tempted...

23. johnnybluejeans macrumors 6502

I picked up a 1gb stick of Mushkin from newegg.com for $74.99.

24. adam1185 macrumors regular

Does anyone know if these new iMacs are supposed to have matching RAM for best performance? I read about that with the G5's but haven't heard anything on the core duos.