Where can I buy a cd/dvd drive for an ibook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jayeskreezy, Aug 1, 2005.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Mar 3, 2005
    Im looking to buy a cdrw/dvd drive for an ibook g3 to replace the current basic cd drive in the computer...where can I buy this? Online or instore doesnt matter. I checked ebay, but I only saw one. Thanks!
  2. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

Feb 16, 2005
    Ontario, CA
    if it's a g3 ibook i would rather consider getting a new ibook. The tray load combo drives are still in the 200 dollar range, and depending on what speed your g3 is that can already be a 1/3 of the total value of your ibook. Or find an external drive if you cant afford the grand for a new one. You didn't mention if your were a tech or not, you still have to consider the cost of installing the drive which could be another 100-200 in labor.

I was almost faced with the prospect of paying for a new drive for my ibook, but luckily apple covered it even tho i was 2 days beyond my applecare.
  3. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 3, 2005
    hmmm thanks for your help...you know I didnt even consider that, but I do already own a lacie external dvd burner that I got a few months ago...that might actually make more sense than spending extra money