Where can I buy a Powerbook in Canada (Toronto/Vancouver)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by famfatal, Feb 4, 2005.

1. famfatal macrumors newbie

In may/june 2005 we will be travelling through Canada. I'm planning on buying a Powerbook there. I've got the following questions:
    - Where can i buy a Powerbook in Toronto or Vancouver? Does anybody have an adress of a apple-store in those cities?
    - How does it work? Do you have to order the Powerbook in the store en than wait for it to come in? And if so: how long does it approximately take for a Powerbook ''12 to come in? :confused: We've got only little time, since we will be on vacation :cool: .

I hope somebody out there has some answers...

2. AdmittedPCuser macrumors member

Unfortunately, there are no Apple Stores in Canada. There are stores that sell Apple. I live in Toronto and there is a store called Carbon Computing about 10 to 15 minutes away from The Toronto Eaton Centre. They're about as close as you're gonna get to an Apple Store in Canada and the guys know their stuff.... otherwise, hit a Best Buy or a CompuSmart

Carbon Computing (and others) stock Apple products, so you'll be able to pick it up on the spot... you may want to call just to make sure they have the model you want in stock (the links, with phone numbers and locations, are above).

I'm sure you have your reasons, but why would you want to pick up something like this on your vacation?

3. Melvin Furd macrumors member

Melvin Furd

Where to Buy

In Toronto
    Carbon Computing
    Cpused

In Vancouver
    Simply Computing
    Mac Station

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, Best Buy is one of those huge American monstrosities they call "stores", and they're around Toronto. But if you'll be in downtown Toronto (ie: in the Central Business District, or central Toronto, or whatever you call it), then it may be very easy to go to a University, say University of Toronto and get one there. They have them near the library at the intersection of George St and some other street. Sorry I can't be of any help in that area (its a HUGE Uni, and it wasn't one of the Uni's I went to).

http://www.campuscomputerstore.ca/utoronto/content/financeinfo.php

Just go to one of the links in the above post and find a convenient location. :)

If you're in Vancouver, then Best Buy is probably there as well. Otherwise, University of British Columbia (UBC) sells them at their bookstore.

http://www.bookstore.ubc.ca/

5. madmonk macrumors newbie

My friend recommanded Simply Computing.

1690 W Broadway
    Vancouver BC V6J 1X6

I heard that the people at the UBC bookstore aren't too helpful. On the other hand that's the only place you can get the edu discount in Vancouver

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

In Vancouver BC

www.westworld.ca

I recommend that you discuss your requirements with the store of your choice by email or phone in advance, including the configuration, and how you are going to pay for it. Then the store can pre-order the machine and have it ready and waiting for you when you arrive.

Note: You may need to prove your identity to the store -- North American sellers have all been inundated with email from fraud artists wanting to purchase with stolen credit card numbers and have the equipment shipped internationally (or to a mail drop in North America). So please forgive them if they want you to send them some proof if ID before entering into a purchase.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM

7. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...in Toronto there is also Vistek who are pretty good...and if you make it outside of Toronto a bit there is MostlyMac whom I have had several *excellent* dealings with...oh yeah!

8. candan9019 macrumors regular

Yorkdale Mall in Toronto is getting an Apple Store sometime in 2005. It sure would be good if "sometime" ends up being before you visit.

9. AdmittedPCuser macrumors member

Really, have they announced this already? If so, that's awesome news! Yorkdale seems like the perfect home an Apple store... that or somewhere on Bloor.

10. sohaness macrumors member

^ yeah, not to mention that yorkdale is a 2 min walk from my house!!

steve.

11. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

If you just walk down broadway in Vancouver there a bunch of stores that sell macs. Theres simply, westworld, macstation and some other small places. I would recommend westworld as they seem to be the most knowledgeable.

12. famfatal thread starter macrumors newbie

Two questions about: edu discount and buying at a university's store

I've got two new questions:

You wrote:
    On the other hand that's the only place you can get the edu discount in Vancouver

-> How can you get edu discount? Do you have to be a student? And if so, how do you prove that?

And you wrote:
    If you're in Vancouver, then Best Buy is probably there as well. Otherwise, University of British Columbia (UBC) sells them at their bookstore.

http://www.bookstore.ubc.ca/

-> do you have to be a student to buy at a university's store?

By the way: thanx a lot for your reply's! My question is only for about twelve hours online, and I already received so many reply's. Great! :D

13. famfatal thread starter macrumors newbie

14. Edge100 macrumors 68000

In Toronto, I wholeheartly recommend CPUsed.

Over the years, I have bought nearly all of my Macs and peripherals from them, and they are superb!

www.cpused.com

15. candan9019 macrumors regular

Yes, we're finally getting one in Canada. Link
    Apple has also posted job openings for the new store.

16. madmonk macrumors newbie

Being a student or a staff at a university or college.
    You probably need a student card or something similar.
    Don't think so.

17. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Vancouver:

Simply Computing is the best- prices and mac know how
    Macstation is over priced by 7% and are snobs
    UBC bookstore are jerks and know little about mnacs
    SFU Computer store has the best EDU prices in BC but need ID, don't know much about macs either
    Westworld are paid by commision so try to sell you crap you dont need and not very knowledgable but do give student discount

If you have a student discount go to SFU CompuStore, best prices on new macs I have ever seen.
    Otherwise go to Simply, they know their stuff and the prices are the same as the Canadian Apple store.

18. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

I'd have to politely disagree on this one, I have found that the staff will sometimes pay no attention to customers in the store, and I once had RAM installed incorrectly on my (former) iBook at CPUsed.

How could someone possibly install RAM incorrectly, you might wonder? By mashing it in, bending one of the clips (leaving the RAM improperly secured), and then closing up the computer. Nice work. :rolleyes:

19. BigMacIain macrumors member

iC SuperCOMPUTERS is an Apple reseller on the Six Nations reserve just south of Brantford, maybe an hour's drive west of Toronto airport. Being on the reserve, prices are tax-free, which is a 15% saving on GST (8%) and PST (7%). As a visitor, you can only claim a refund on the GST when you leave Canada. Their prices are inflated slightly and they add a surcharge of 3% for credit card sales (or maybe 4%, I don't remember exactly). It's best to call them and check their prices in advance since they will place an order with their suppliers rather than selling from stock. It's a fun place to visit. It's in a log cabin but once you walk in, it's piled full of demo machines.

20. Electric Monk macrumors member

There is also North Star on Bay Street directly above Dundas (2 minutes from the Eaton Centre) in Toronto.

My favorite place is CCC (I think, I never remember the name right) on College and Spadina.

The Yorkdale Apple Store opens May 21st