Where can I buy a SSD for my MBA rev:B?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by King t., Apr 25, 2009.

1. macrumors regular

hi,

I'm currently looking for a SSD for my new MBA rev:B, is there a shop that sells SSD's for the new MBA rev:B?

2. macrumors regular

do not think there are any out there, has to be 1.8" and 5mm tall or something like that and those are really not out (or very pricey). Not 100% sure though.

3. macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Your best bet is the same Samsung Apple uses.

I read of one person taking an aftermarket SSD and puting in MBA. Was a big pain as had to use LIF cable and solder leads to SSD.

There are two issues. One finding a drive that fits. Two, getting past proprietary LIF connection cable.

My advice is to buy from Apple. But there is a thread here in the MBA section at MR which explains the workaround the poster used.

Good luck.

4. macrumors member

5. macrumors regular

Don't think it'll work. You'd first have to remove the hdd padding since its 8mm (not that big of a deal). And its SATA interfaced, you'd have to get a LIF to SATA, which I would prefer you'd find first ;). Goodluck.

6. thread starter macrumors regular

7. macrumors 6502a

8. macrumors regular

Can't ypu just take the Air into an Apple store an ask them to change it? Sure they'd charge parts + labour, but I can't think of 1 reason why they'd refuse?

9. macrumors 65816

aaquib

Apple Store won't do it. Before you question why, give your local Apple Store a call.

10. macrumors newbie

if you want to change your HDD for an SSD at an local apple store you will be quite disappointed. I already went there and it would cost around 1215 Euro to do so. well, my macbook air (rev b with 1,86 and 120gb hdd) was only 1480 euro. so that is not really an option. ;)

greetings

martin

11. macrumors regular

I think as prices for SSD's fall, it would be more palatable. I think things are soldered in there so I do not know if there is a plug and play situation.

As I am thinking of getting a 1.6/120 HDD, I would love to get a SSD later when prices / GB fall.

12. macrumors newbie

With some wicked fine soldering anything is possible! :p
    But the OP really doesn't seem up to the task. (No offense, i've been soldering for like 6 years and I would be soooooooo hesitant to even think about that kind of soldering)

13. thread starter macrumors regular

well i can inform you guys that i have fond a store that will upgrade a mba rev:B with 128gb SSD, incl. installation everything would cost 349€. :D

14. macrumors regular

Not too bad.....when prices come down on the drives, I think more HDD people would think about that.

15. macrumors 6502

That is pretty interesting news. Is "a store" an apple store?

16. thread starter macrumors regular

no it's not a apple store, but they are a apple reseller.
    so no problem with warranty. ;)

17. macrumors 65816

Am I missing something here?

The Rev. Bs use 1.8" SATA drives, so anything that fits that spec. should work, no?

18. macrumors regular

has to be 5mm in height I think and there is some kind of LIF connector as well that has been discussed.