where can i buy windows (cheap)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by plunar, Dec 8, 2006.

1. plunar macrumors 6502

plunar

i need to run autocad next semester, and that means windows. parallels apparently only supplies the virtual machine or whatever.

2. jsarrasinjr macrumors member

Assuming you are in school some place that offers this, you may be able to geta steeply discounted copy of windows from your school's book store/computer store.

Otherwise, your best bet is local computer shows. That is the best place to find very steep discounts on software that is probably legit.

All of this assumes you are actually looking for a legit copy. :cool:

3. plunar thread starter macrumors 6502

plunar

just checked with the school. they offer "student select" xp pro with an upgrade license to business vista. .. they're asking $70. is this a good deal?

4. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

yeah, try your school. i know my school (and most universities) offer copies of XP for like $10 bucks..

edit: woops. too late.

yeah, that sounds right.. how much did they quote ya for? cause it should seriously be dirt cheap.

5. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

NewEgg.com sells for about £60 GBP, I think.

6. epiphany macrumors regular

7. webcookie macrumors member

Not all schools offer software for ridiculously cheap. When I wanted Office 2004, everyone told me to go to my school bookstore, I could get it for less than the student price elsewhere. Guess what? Nope. My school offers nothing at a discount. They even jack up prices on books that have prices printed right on them.

8. thechris69 macrumors 6502

thechris69

9. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

i believe this is discussed elsewhere...

back on topic... My community college bookstore gave great discounts. 90 bucks for office for mac... i didn't look at xp... however my 4year university doesn't quite have the same deals. they don't even sell software in their bookstore. it is kind of hit or miss at schools. but 70 bucks sounds about right.

10. mattster16 macrumors 6502a

At my school we can get Office Professional and just about any other Microsoft software for free (mac or windows) and we can get XP for free as well. However, it is only the upgrade version of XP.

If you can get a discount through school just make sure to find out if you are getting the full or upgrade version. You need full.

11. epiphany macrumors regular

Running Autocad on Mac

By the way, I don't know about the graphics card requirement for Autocad, but I can tell you that last I checked, Parallels wouldn't handle the driver in windows for dedicated graphics you need in 3D CAD like Solidworks or Pro-E. You'd want to use Bootcamp, rather than Parallels.
    In addition, Solidworks required Win XP Pro, rather than basic XP.