Where can I download OS8 Software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Patmian212, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I already tried version tracker. Any other cool sites? Also is it possible to transfer the files from pc(mac has no internet) to my PB 2400c through diskett?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Info-Mac is your best friend for finding old Mac software.

Regarding your second point, do you mean floppy disks? Macs running Mac OS 8.x (and later) will read PC-formatted floppy disks. Earlier versions can do this too, but I don't know in what Mac OS version the ability was introduced.

3. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What do you mean "mac has no internet"? Are you talking about your PowerMac 7500? your PowerBook 2400c? what? SneakerNet will work. However, I recommend that you use your PM 7500 computer as your primary machine rather than that Windows POS. Your Mac has 10B-T built-in. You can get a PC Card for your PowerBook. If you have broadband, a router will make all three computers equal citizens on the 'Net.

5. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Read my post its for my PB....I transfered a game from my pc to my PB on floppy and the file doesnt open and the icon says PC on it even though its a mac file(.hqx)

6. RacerX macrumors 65832

Well, first of all, Mac OS 8 is not free. Apple has never made it free (as they did with 7.5.2). So downloading it (legally) isn't going to happen any time soon.

If you want to buy Mac OS 8, you can get the install CD here.

Besides, you'd be better off getting Mac OS 8.5/8.5.1/8.6 on that system as they have more PowerPC native code and would perform better.

If you have a PowerMac 7500, then you can network it with your PowerBook 2400c via the localtalk (printer) port on both systems. All you need is a printer cable and to enable AppleTalk on both system via the printer port.

As for working with files off a PC disk. Pre-Mac OS X systems don't generally recognize file name extensions. So if you have a file with .hqx on it, the system doesn't know what to do with it. You are going to need to manually open it in StuffIt Expander.

The thing about downloading with a Mac browser is that they are going to add resource info based on a helper application list. IE on a Mac would add to an hqx file a resource that tells the Finder that it is a StuffIt file.

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You're going to need a working Stuffit Expander to open many of the files found on Info-Mac. Unfortunately, I can't find the newest Stuffit Expander that's known to work on Mac OS 8.0.

8. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Ok I found an old version of stuffit expandr on the system im decoding now...I hope this works!

9. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

10. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Mac OS 8 doesn't have one :(

The best you can do is summon the Force Quit dialog with Command+Option+Escape, but it only lets you quit the active application (including background-only applications).

11. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

When you get OS 8.x up and running, check out Macintosh Garden for lots of abandonware games... it's nostalgia heaven...