Where can I find a direct download for Virex?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jayeskreezy, Mar 27, 2005.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Ok so I just got my new .mac account and mac mini about two weeks ago and I have yet to find a downloadable link for virex which is supposed to be free with .mac. Well, I have searched these forums as well as the apple.com support forums, non forums, the site, etc. The only time I got close they said that they didn't have a downloadable version due to some of the problems in the latest version, but that it should be available soon.

So I hear of people downloading it yesterday and today so I'm assuming it's available now? All I want is a direct link...im not stealing it or anything-I JUST WANT TO DOWNLOAD VIREX :eek: ...this has been a very frustrating process so I appreciate any help....and please don't tell me to do a search of any kind...I have already wasted many hours over the last week or so doing just that.

Thanks again yall!

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

In the Finder, choose Go -> iDisk -> My iDisk.
    This will open your iDisk, and from there navigate through these folders:
    Software -> Members Only-> dotMac Software.

There you will find Virex_7.5.1.dmg. Copy that to your desktop and run it.

Lee Tom

3. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

ok so I feel like im making progress and I get all the way here: http://www.mac.com/1/macpresents/protect.html

and I click the download virex thing only for them to send me to a page that says it's only for paying members? I thought it came free with your new computer???

4. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks leetom...I tried that but it wont let me do it...I am supposed to get a free version of version tracker plus and I cant....It brings me right back to that page that says I need to upgrade...

my members only section only has a version tracker plus thing and about members only.html ...I dont even see the dotmac software thing :(

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

There were some recent issues with Virex, causing it to be downgraded to a different version. Call up Apple if you have any problems with it.

But... why do you need Virex?

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

.Mac doesn't come with new purchases. It's a separate purchase. The only thing connecting .Mac to new purchases is if you buy a new Mac, you get .Mac for $70, as opposed to $100.

And aside from that, virus software isn't needed on the Mac. Really, the only thing they're good for is detecting Windows viruses to prevent you from spreading the virus, even though the virus itself can't do **** to your computer.

7. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

oh thanks...so i'd be better off just buying virex

8. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

No!

You are better of just not getting it. There are no viruses for the Mac.

9. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks for that link...thats even more helpful