Where can I find cheap GB ram for the mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Winstonp, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Winstonp macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

I've ordered a new mini and I need to up the ram. Does anyone have an idea of where I can find a good deal on ram? I really want a 1 GB chip.

DDR PC2700

2. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    ramjet
    crucial
    dealram

those are the 3 i used, but i normally go for crucial; deal ram if i really need a bargain

3. gangst macrumors 6502a

you can get cheap ram through these, but the problem is YOU CANNOT open up a Mac Mini without voiding the warranty, also I don't think its possible, so you may be stuck with 256mb. Sorry.

4. Winstonp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Winstonp

are you sure about that warranty deal. That's a little bit awkward from the same company that requires the removal of the bottom case of a powerbook to install an airport card.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

"Memory, AirPort Extreme and internal Bluetooth upgrades MUST be performed by an Apple Authorized Service provider; fees may apply."

...my caps -- from the Apple Store website.

That's all that anybody knows at the moment.

Until someone turns up here or elsewhere saying that they changed the RAM themselves, that's the truth of the matter.

If it was I'd either postpone that order, up the RAM from Apple, or be happy with what you've got...

6. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    there was a thread here stating that doing it yourself did not void the warranty

7. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Did you miss this recent thread?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1210050#post1210050

I think that you should find a helpful answer here.

8. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Wow! What a bunch of FUD! :rolleyes: The airport card is installed by removing the battery... Once the battery is removed, there is an airport access slot. :cool:

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

If I remember correctly (haven't had my PB for some time now), TiBooks required removal of the bottom case in order to install the Airport card. And you needed a Torx-6 (or something like that) screwdriver to do it. Like I have one of those lying around. (Had to run to Sears and buy one).

10. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Ahh... I'm not sure about the TI books... However, the ALBooks are as I mentioned before.