where can i find project builder?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by chrislee8, Jul 30, 2004.

1. macrumors regular

i have OS X 10.2.8,

i like to know who develops application with the 10.2.8 platform.

1. where can i find proejct builder.

2. can i just use gcc compiler to build c/c++ application without the project builder?

3. project builder is IDE right? gcc is compiler, so it should be ok to build c++ application without IDE, right?

thanks

btw, don't tell me to upgrade to 10.3 so that i can use XCode. I am sure there are ppl out there using Project builder. I just hate to spend more money to upgrade the OS. i just bought the $2000 notebood one week ago for god's sake. Sooner or later I am gonna install gentoo and dump all these MF upgradig sh*t

2. macrumors 601

stoid

Sign up for the free ADC thing on Apple's website. You should be able to download the Latest Developer tools for free. It's a few hundred MBs, so I would not suggest this if you have dial-up. Instead, you can by a CD of the Dev. Tools from Apple for $19.95.

3. macrumors 603

janey

Ummm...ppc gentoo? (i dunno what to think, gentoo ppc isnt what i'd like it to be, even with people like pvdabeel working on the proj)
    I think you might be better off just sticking with 10.2.8, or selling that laptop, buying a PC, and installing gentoo on that.

in regards to your gcc question, you can always download and try it out first to see if it fits your needs, and if not, look for project builder et al.

or you can try alternatives to projectbuilder like codewarrior or eclipse or something like that.

just my 2 cents.

4. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Project Builder is in /Developer/Applications. If /Developer doesn't exist, you will need to install the Developer Tools, which should have been bundled with your copy of Jaguar (retail version) or in the /Applications/Installers folder (preinstalled version).

5. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks,

doesn't project builder include the as(assembler) and l(linker)?

thanks

6. Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

OK I'm on 10.3 with XCode, but Project Builder was pretty similar. I have as (which as returns /usr/bin/as). I don't have l, but that's not a big surprise as it's called ld (unless I'm way wrong) which is also in /usr/bin.

I'm not sure why you need direct access to them to write C++ though?

7. thread starter macrumors regular

the last question i had is for learning assembly on Mac 10.2

8. thread starter macrumors regular

thanks

9. macrumors 65816

maybe i missed something, but if you just bought the computer a week ago, why don't you have 10.3? it's been included in all macs for about a year now...

10. thread starter macrumors regular

hehehe, i bought the old newworld model which comes with the Jaguar and 1ghz.

11. macrumors 65816

who did you buy it from?

12. thread starter macrumors regular

jandr in NY