Where can i find this ram besides Newegg

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by farqueue, Feb 25, 2007.

1. farqueue macrumors 6502

farqueue

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

3. farqueue thread starter macrumors 6502

farqueue

4. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Did You Not Save A Lot Of Money?

They are excellent and you saved a bunch of money didn't you?

5. farqueue thread starter macrumors 6502

farqueue

Alright then. Thanks a lot :)

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I'd be really hesitant to buy from Omni...rating of 2.88 at ResellerRatings...not good. I have heard of people having some success with their RAM, but their customer service is generally terrible.

7. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

My Experience With Omni Is Excellent

I have been buying RAM from Omni for many years and have never had a problem with them. I don't like Omni bashing. I have NEVER had a problem they didn't solve right away.

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I'm not bashing Omni...I just look at the evidence I see on the web, and it gives me great pause. That's great that you've had good experiences with them...that goes in the plus column for them in my brain. But I can't ignore all the bad things I've seen about them. The OP should do his research and decide for himself where he wants to buy RAM from.

9. farqueue thread starter macrumors 6502

farqueue

They seem to be the cheapest around, according to ramseeker website.
    G.Skill ram was good, it didnt give me any problems at all.

The next cheapest was powerlinememory.com their memory gave me a lot of problems. My system kept crashing etc

10. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Whoa there, Stalin. And I don't like people who run around acting like shills for a company, shouting down other people who voice a reasonable opinion and back it up with facts. I don't care one way or the other about this issue, but you jumping down people's throats when they mention that Omni has a low reseller rating actually drives me further away from your side. You stated your opinion; fine, we got that. That doesn't make other peoples' opinions less valuable, and no one said anything here that remotely qualifies as "bashing".

11. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I don't know where else you can buy that exact stick (although I just bought it from newegg, entirely because of your link :D ) but I noticed this one the other day, it is cheaper, although I can't vouch for the reliability of either the RAM or the site, I just thought I'd throw it out there.

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

13. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I've bought from Omni before and they have been good. I have received the memory fast and so far works good... But its good to hear other opinions and see the seller's ratings. I am surprised they were rated this bad though

14. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

One thing I don't like the fact that Omni falsify the specifications of the RAM. They claim their RAM is 667 MHz and CAS Latency 3. It's not. It is CL5 at 667 MHz because nobody makes chips that will do CL3 at 667 MHz. Their sleazy way out is that if you run the RAM at 400 MHz, it will do CL3 - yeah, like all other 667 chips will. Their About us and FAQ pages are non-functional - that's confidence inspiring. There is no way to find their shipping prices without loading a shopping cart. (BTW: Shipping starts at US$21 for non-US addresses and goes up to $35)

Lastly, they "game" the internet price engines by lowballing special prices just to gain high ranking on Ramseeker. The same RAM if you go in through their 'front door' is $179.98, not $130.59. Which means they are happy to overcharge all the schmucks who don't know the secret entryway. You want to deal with a company with these ethics? Feel free. I don't.

In the USA, I prefer a company like OWC or Data Memory Systems, who don't exaggerate, don't play pricing games, are bone-fide Mac experts and are completely up front with their policies, prices, warranty and shipping (and are within a burger and fries of the O. lowball price in any case.)

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

15. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

I noticed that as well and thought something was fishy about it, because none of the other RAM I found was CL3. Also, their site design scares me. It feels like a sleazy used car dealership -- which, after learning about some of their business practices, sort of fits.

16. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

Unfortunate that you can't use Newegg. That place has the best prices and best customer service of any online store I've ever used.