where can i get a 160/200 gb hard drive for my MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by extraid, Sep 17, 2006.

1. extraid macrumors newbie

So,
    I really need to find a larger hard drive fro my MBP and i'm curious as to if there is a 160 or a 200gb hard drive (or bigger) that will work for it....any idea?

thanks so much!

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

200GB laptop hard drives are thin on the ground and are anything BUT thin. MBPs use the more common 9.5mm thick HDD whereas the 200GB versions are currently 12.5mm thick because they use an extra platter.

You'll need to search for a SATA 9.5mm-thick 2.5" Hard drive - they are about I just don't know of a US store that sells them - most computer suppliers should be stocking them by now. Apple offers a 160GB drive for the Mac mini so they should be doing the same for the portables very soon.

3. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

i don't know about a 200gb (i don't think there is one yet for the MBP..), but newegg has the hitachi 160gb for $200 shipped.

4. extraid thread starter macrumors newbie

that meets the "creds" to be put in the MBP, right? it'll work?

5. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

yepp, sure will. many here on these forums already have one!

keep in mind you better know what you're doing to upgrade the MBP HD, cause that's no where near as easy as the MB - be prepared to go slow and be organized. you can find good tutorials online for it, though. try ifixit.com.

6. extraid thread starter macrumors newbie

haha now you got me paranoid ;)
    i replaced my RAM and put in 2gb couple months ago, seems like the same type of thing - just - a little more to remove. it's not too terrible is it? i saw the guide on ifixit (thanksf or telling me about that too)

before i go an buy that hard drive you showed me..
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822145113

you dont think a 200gb or bigger will come along anytime soon and make me slighly buggerd i didn't wait? hehe

lastly, i've heard a lot on this but nothing too clear...

does replacing your hard drive on the MBP "void" your warranty/apple care protection plan?

thanks