Where can I get songs that aren't available in iTunes?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dferigmu, Mar 22, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502

I'm now buying all my music on iTunes or just downloading music from my CD's, but what about music I can't find anywhere like techno/club remixes of songs or a song from a video game?

Is something like Limewire my only option? Where can I safely find songs that aren't available on iTunes?

2. macrumors 6502a

LIMEWIRE

LIMEWIRE....

...FREE & EASY TO USE....

3. macrumors 6502

www.amazon.com ;)

Nothing wrong with buying actual CDs and loading them onto iTunes. Personally I prefer to do that, it's only slightly more, you have a physical copy without the restrictions you get with iTunes, and it's higher quality.

4. macrumors member

You can try here:

http://www.mp3tunes.com/
    http://www.audiolunchbox.com/

Both sell independent music at about $8/$9 an album, all sorts of esoteric stuff. They do MP3s with no DRM. I would be pretty sure that the artist get a better cut than through iTunes :)

Both have a good selection of dance music. If you want the real cutting edge stuff Warp Records have a download store, again MP3s with no DRM.

http://www.warprecords.com/bleep/

Finally, many labels give away stuff on there own sites so it's worth trawling through interesting labels.

Good luck

Pashazade

5. macrumors regular

You know you could still go to real live record stores...

6. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

And get out your chair!??? :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

7. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Who knows? Maybe you'll end up randomly sitting next to Keira on the metro. :p :D

8. Moderator emeritus

I have found so much rare stuff on ebay recently that it's now my first point of call.

9. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Recently, I've used Amazon's used marketplace a couple of times. There are a lot of CDs available at very reasonable prices. Although you have to pay shipping ($2.50 per, in the US, which is kinda high), the prices themselves are very reasonable, so many CDs are available for $8 shipped. I just ordered a PWEI cd because I wanted X Y & Zee and Karmadrome. I guess I *am* paying $4/song though... :rolleyes:

10. thread starter macrumors 6502

I know, but I'm talking about songs that aren't even available in stores. Like remixes of songs that were never officially released and aren't available on CDs or on iTunes.

Like there's a retro/dance remix of Justin Timberlake's song "Rock Your Body" that I can't find on iTunes or at Amazon and I'm wondering where I can go to find songs like that? The last program I used was Limewire but that was years ago.

11. macrumors 6502a

What about Poisoned?

12. macrumors newbie

I buy cd's and then i have a backup copy but you could try Acquisition http://www.acquisitionx.com/

13. macrumors 6502

There is a fantastic record store near me where I purchase singles and remixes. Plus, they have a crawling library of used CDs with cheap prices. iTMS has been great for picking up individual songs I like, but I still prefer to buy full albums and EPs at a store (or amazon.com; wherever is cheapest).

14. macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I'm confused. Is dferigmu asking "Where can I buy music that has never been released for sale?"

If we're talking about mix tapes, remixes and music pulled from other media like games and movies, which has not been published for sale by the artist/owner, the answer would seem to be: you don't, at least not legally.