Where Can I Publish My iWeb Site (BESIDES .MAC)?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chaseardoin7, Mar 7, 2007.

1. chaseardoin7 macrumors regular

Mar 7, 2007
    So, i'm new to the whole we publishing world and I need a little help. I've created a personal page on iWeb, and now I want to publish it, but not on .mac. here is what i want:

i. i want a to be able to have my own domain name; www.(myname).com
    ii. i want it cheap! $8/mo or chearper
    iii. my own e-mail address that i can maybe link with Web Mail on osx
    iv. it needs to be easy.....please.

can someone please help me. i've looked into godaddy.com, but i just don't understand how i would get my iWeb site to it.

Chase :apple:
  2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Jan 5, 2006
    Redondo Beach, California
    .mac is made for people who don't understand how all this technical stuff works. It's so simple you don't have to know much. That's why people pay $100 easier to pay then do some reading $100/yr is close to your $8/month budget

most ISPs give their users free web space. Typically you get about 10MB or so. Check with the people you get your service from. You likely do have some free space already There are also many free web hosting services although most are ad supported

If you have a 24x7 Internet connection, like DSL or Cable and a computer you can leave on then you can hjost your own web site using your own computer. As long as you don't have huge amounts of traffic you will never notice if a few people per day look at your site.

How to get your iWeb stuff to some other non .mac location. From within iWeb do a "save to folder" this wil put the web site to your desktop. Next move this foldr to a server using FTP.
  3. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

Sep 28, 2006
    .mac is not only for iWeb but a whole lot more. i personally don't have it so i can't say much more.

anyhow, read through this for top web hosting services on the net

I have been an iPowerWeb customer for 5 years now and they are pretty good. The only gripe is that they don't allow me to login via a "shell". But no biggie!
  4. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Jan 8, 2007
    with iweb instead of publishing to .mac, choose publish to folder and when you have some webspace just load the files on to you area. i personally dont know any good hosting sites sorry.
  5. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Jun 9, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Yea, like above users posted, you can export your site to a folder containing all the files necessary to access your webpage. If you're looking for great, inexpensive hosting, check out A Small Orange, I've used them for a couple years now and they've been nothing short of amazing! :D
  6. aricher macrumors 68020

Feb 20, 2004
    From what your needs are I don't get why you wouldn't be using .mac - it's as easy as it gets, adds extra functionality to iWeb and the multi-mac syncing feature is killer.
  7. KillTheBunny macrumors newbie

Mar 25, 2005
    Like chris said, Your going to have to upload the published to folder site using FTP software to the godaddy host. its still quite easy.
  8. Nuala Mahon macrumors newbie

Jan 11, 2008
    Thats great and I have used "save to folder" to create my site for uploading to a non .MAC environment. All is fine except that my blog doesn't transfer correctly. It says in the help file that the blog only functions in a .MAC environment. Is there any work around for making the Blog page function correctly on a non .MAC host.
  9. Melrose macrumors 604

Dec 12, 2007
    In your HVAC ducts, stealing your secrets.
    Not to sound negative, but iPowerWeb has been having *alot* of trouble with just about everything since they were bought by Endurance International - I myself, having been with them since 2001, used to highly recommend them, but since they failed to inform me my domain expired (even though my email was on the administration page) and demanded almost $200 in fees to get it back, I have moved elsewhere. iPowerweb problems

I would highly recommend Eleven2 - I've said it before and I sound like a broken record sometimes but their IM support is fantastic. And cheap enough...($6.00/month)
  10. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    $8 a month is $96/year

For the past 3 years I've been buying .Mac from Amazon @ $69.99 per year.

That's roughly $6 a month.
  11. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Jun 21, 2007
    That looks like one of those sites where the hosts are either paying to be highly rated, or the site owners are linking to the ones they have affiliate accounts with, without providing unbiased reviews.

My recommendation... Go here:

It's not as simple as one page with a list of "the best" on it, because choosing a good host isn't that simple. But, if you dig around a bit, you can find a good host.

My personal recommendation would be http://www.hostgator.com/ - I use a lot of hosts, and I like them the best. I run a fairly busy forum with them, which is a good test of how good a host is, and things have always gone smoothly. Tech support is always fast to respond too.
  12. Ugg macrumors 68000

Apr 7, 2003
    My blog functions just fine with my webhost which is ICD Soft.
  13. Nuala Mahon macrumors newbie

Jan 11, 2008
    That's interesting because in the Help file it says, amongst other things, that:
    If you don’t publish your site to .Mac, these features are unavailable:
    Blog and photo comments
    Blog search
    Hit counter
    In my publishing to a non mac site the blog content appears but it doesn't allow for comments as the Help text says.
    Have you had comments to your Blog on a Non .MAC site? I.E. has it transfered fully
  14. Ugg macrumors 68000

Apr 7, 2003
    Yes, you're correct, those functions don't work in a non .Mac environment, but the blog itself functions just fine.
  15. thetaylorbear macrumors newbie

Jan 1, 2010
    Try these guys

I use ttchost.com for the mere reason that simple is better.
    unlimited bandwith, diskspace & websites.
    Plus, the customer svc is very good.
    "And customer svc to me is the most important, some companies offer a lot but when you have a problem they have no answers or don't even pick p the phone."
    That happens more and more each day.
  16. Little HZ macrumors regular

Little HZ

Nov 15, 2008
    New Mexico
    I use GoDaddy. I could not figure out how to get my web pages up, so, with one phone call, a really professional, really nice GoDaddy guy got my site up and running! :p
  17. phineas macrumors regular

Nov 1, 2006
    South of the Border I-95
    But when he did , did he have to have you do anything different with iWeb?
  18. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Dec 26, 2009
    Deep Space
    When publishing to the web using iWeb you need to choose the option "Publish to a folder".

This will create a folder with your website wherever you want it.

Then you use an FTP application. Download "Fetch" for free.

You do not transfer the folder to the web hosting account.

Only the contents. This is important.