Where can I send by PG 1.5Ghz to get the screen latch fixed?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jessearl, Aug 9, 2005.

1. jessearl macrumors member

Mar 7, 2005
    The latch on my PowerBook 15" 1.5Ghz screen has been broken for about two months now. I've tried the suggestions that I've found online to bend slightly the latch this way and that to get it to reconnect to no avail.

It's become a great irritation as I can't put the computer to sleep at night and if I try to put it in my laptop case sometimes the velcro closure inside isn't tight enough to hold the screen closed and the computer then turns on and with it being inside the case, it heats up very quickly.

Is there a Mac-focused computer repair company that could fix my PB? I've looked online and haven't found anyone who advertises that they are able to fix a problem of this type.

Perhaps you who read this can make a suggestion about who could fix it or who would be best to ask to fix it.
  2. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    The Apple Store can most likely do it. Where do you live?, that'll help ALOT!
  3. jessearl thread starter macrumors member

Mar 7, 2005
    I live in a small town in central Florida. The nearest Apple Store would likely be in either Orlando or Tampa and both cities are about a hour and a half away.

I'd prefer to find a company online who I could ship my computer to for repair. Or, heck, if I can ship it to Apple to be fixed, that would be okay. But I would think that Apple would be the most expensive choice as far as getting this fixed. I could be wrong, bu that's my guess.
  4. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

Sep 2, 2004
    Boston, Massachusetts
  5. jessearl thread starter macrumors member

Mar 7, 2005
    Thanks for the replies. I sent a request for a price quote for the company that was suggested and they sent back something around $145 to repair/replace the parts on my latch. Seems like a good company.

I've also sent a price quote request to PowerBook Medic for how much they would charge to fix this problem.

If anyone else has some suggestions about what other companies might be good to talk to, it would be appreciated.
  6. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

Jul 26, 2005
    Was the latch damage a result of accidental damage or did it just happen on its own?
    If it's not the result of an accident and you have Applecare, then I believe it's a covered repair by Apple. Given that you live far from a store, Apple will send out a package to you in order to ship it to them.

It's probably unlikely that you're covered by Applecare, b/c I imagine it would have been mentioned by now, but I thought it was worth mentioning to be complete.
  7. jessearl thread starter macrumors member

Mar 7, 2005
    I appreciate your thoroughness. Unfortunately, I am not covered by AppleCare. It was something that should have been done, but I overlooked it and by the time I realized I should get it, it was too late.