Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
I have never seen these sold in any online stores before.. and since these are also the exact modules uses in Macs it'd be best to use them right?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
You can't, at least not as Hynix modules. But many different sellers rebrand Hynix for resale (like Apple does...)

BUT:

There's absolutely no reason to match brand for brand/chip for chip when upgrading memory*

Just choose a reputable seller who tests and guarantees compatibility with your model Mac, offers a lifetime warranty and a no-cost return if it doesn't work.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

* OK OK There is one reason -- if you have a first generation iMac G5, and you are obsessed with getting "128-bit" access (which apparently has little or no real world result) AND you have a single 512 Mb or 1 Gb module in the machine now, you may want to seek out a matching module. But trust me, don't bother.

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
But if you get the exact same modules wouldn't you be able to then send that mac in for servicing and stuff in the future with no worries(tm)?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I've never had problems with 3rd party RAM and Apple Servicing.. AFAIK, 3rd party RAM doesn't void the warranty.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
generik said:
But if you get the exact same modules wouldn't you be able to then send that mac in for servicing and stuff in the future with no worries(tm)?
Ummm... as opposed to just taking out your third-party RAM?

You're not suggesting that by putting in the same brand memory, you'll trick Apple into covering it under their warranty??

Standard procedure would be to remove all third party additions to a machine before sending it for service.

Yellow, there have been many instances where Apple service centres have received a machine, seen third-party RAM, pulled it out, sent the machine back unrepaired without looking at it, with the RAM in a baggie labelled "Third Party RAM". Maybe they get paid twice from Apple when you send it back again, I don't know. But just don't give them the excuse. The exception is where the problem is memory related, like the lower socket failures on Powerbook logic boards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.