Where could I find Linux help?

Discussion in 'Community' started by dotdotdot, Sep 8, 2005.

1. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    I have a whole list of problems - hopefully someone here can help solve them - but if not, at least please point me in the right direction...

SO I all of a sudden had an interest in trying Linux... so since my dad had a spare 80 gig hard drive, I decided to get one of those solutions where you can change the boot drive through the front of the computer - you slide the HD in and lock it and power the computer on and it boots from that hard drive.

We set it up and put my Windows hard drive in. No go. Didn't work. We tried to put the hard drive in normally, thinking it was something wrong with the front unit. Nothing. We then put the wires back in the front unit and put in the fresh hard drive and it booted and asked for the install CDs. My windows HD was really hot after we removed it. SO my first problem is my HD is dead - can someone please help me be able to recover my data?

Anyway, I installed Fedora Core 4 (keep in mind I'm a newbie) and got everything working, except...
    -My sound card didn't work. Miraculously, I was able to fix that even though I have no linux knowledge at all.
    -I don't know how to install anything - still don't...
    -My Linksys WUSB11 version 2.5 wireless card is detected but won't work.

So my second problem is that my WUSB11 version 2.5 Wireless USB card from Linksys won't work and now I don't have internet. I know its possible to make this card work, which makes it more frustrating.

Anyway, can anyone please help me?
  2. dubbz macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2003
    Alta, Norway
    I have no experience with Fedora (I'm more of a Gentoo and Ubuntu fan), but here's some links that might be helpful:

For software installation, updates and removal:
    Managing Software with yum

Never tried to configure wireless networking under Linux... I don't know if Linksys have a native driver (I guess not), but NdisWrapper should allow you to use Windows drivers.

You could also try checking out one of these forums:

Linuxforums.org (Goes straight to Fedora section).
  3. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005

So, I have the disk with the Windows drivers for my card sitting on my desk - so how would I install the Ndis thing to get the drivers to work?
  4. paperinacup macrumors 6502

Mar 30, 2005
  5. jim. macrumors 6502

Dec 22, 2004
    C-ville, VA
    NDiswrapper has decent docs on their site, I suggest you read them, and then ask questions.

If your HD was messed up due to the heat, it may not be broken. The old school way of fixing it is putting it in a freezer (wrapped, of course) for a while and then trying again. It sounds weird, but it seems to work.

Can you have the windows HD connected to computer at the same time as your linux drive? If so, your linux drive will mount the windows partition, or you can do it yourself (look up suggestions on the mount command, or I can help you here). Then, if the drive is still readable, you could get your data off. If this doesn't work, then you'll probably need professional services.

Fedora has a good community that is very helpful. They probably know more than I would about it, since I haven't used anything by RedHat since 1999.

Second random thought: If you get a live cd like Knoppix or something, you can have your windows HD connected to your comp, boot off of the CD, and see if it can be mounted. Then you can recover your data. I actually think there is a special live cd based on knoppix just for this purpose. You'll have to google for it, because I have no idea what it is called.

Let me (and the others) know how far you get, and then we can work from there.

6. dubbz macrumors 68020

Sep 3, 2003
    Alta, Norway
    The Live CD distro Jim mentioned is probably INSERT. Seems to have some useful tools for disaster recovery.
  7. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    Well the hard drive, after two days, still won't boot up.

When we plug it in (IDE, not SATA) it doesn't make a sound, spin, or anything. And the computer doesn't detect it.

I purchased a new 300 Gig HD from Staples today because they have an awesome deal - $129 for a 300 Gig Maxtor drive @ 72000 RPM. So I'm going to use that.

All I really care about is my emails which I lost. When I reinstall Windows I'm going to see if we can save the HD...